• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

WPS Wizard and Estyler / WPS Wizard and Firefox

Started by bottomtop, 2012.07.20, 00:37:26

Previous topic - Next topic

bottomtop

Hello,

I don't know if this is just me, but I am trying to use estyler (in Ecs 2.1) and WPS wizard.

(1) When the desktop is about to load at boot, I get an undoable system freeze.  But if i reboot to the commandline to disable estyler (rename its 2 *.dll's to *.old), it works.

(2) I also get a WPS freeze (clock stops, can't interact with anything although mouse moves) if I click on "open containing folder) in the firefox 10 download box.  Not a problem when e-styler alone is running.  Only a problem when WPS wizard is running.

(3) I also get a WPS freeze (clock stops, can't interact with anything although mouse moves) if I attempt to open a folder from the command line using the folder program (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-viewer.php?dir=/pub/os2/util/wps&file=folder10.zip&backto=%2Fh-search.php%3Fkey%3Dfolder). Not a problem when e-styler alone is running.  Only a problem when WPS wizard is running.

I'd like to be able to capture some diagnostic data, then maybe find a way to give it to the developers of WPS Wizard and Estyler (i.e. do something useful for them) but I don't know how to do this. 

Pete

Hi

I never had much success with WPSWizard and was not impressed with the lack of support to resolve the issues.

My advice would be to uninstall that software and see if the problems go away with the uninstall.

Regards

Pete

aschn

OS/2 is apparently unable to support both X/eWP(S) and WPS Wizard on
many installations. There exists no design problem of both of them why
they can't coexist, but in most cases the lack of Shared Memory leads
to the situation that either of them works only. If you try to use
OOo, Virtual PC, Mozilla, Java or Qt additionally, the situation gets
worse.

Less WPS is more.

Andreas

abwillis

Hmm, I run WPS-Wizard, e-styler, styler/2, XWorkplace (full not as shipped with eCS), and dragtext .  I used to also run NPSWPS (I think that was the name) but only used one feature from it, everything else I wanted was duplicated with one of these others. 

Andi

AFAIR there is a known problem when turbo folders is activated in xwp and wpswiz. I've working both xwp and wpswiz on my notebooks (without turbo folders). But had no success installing wpswiz on my main dual core machine so far.....

bottomtop

Hello Andi thank you for your reply.  Excuse my ignorance, but what is Turbo folders?

Andi

QuoteExcuse my ignorance, but what is Turbo folders?

bottomtop

I see..thanks.  This appears to be a feature in XWP but not EWP.

abwillis

Quote from: bottomtop on 2012.07.24, 00:04:42
That is correct, it is not considered stable enough to add to ewp.  Also, it changes the way file associations work... I never could get used to the change (used to be a separate option but they found that turbo folders needed the file associations to achieve any level of stability.

aschn

Quote from: abwillis on 2012.07.24, 00:38:40
Quote from: bottomtop on 2012.07.24, 00:04:42
That is correct, it is not considered stable enough to add to ewp.  Also, it changes the way file associations work... I never could get used to the change (used to be a separate option but they found that turbo folders needed the file associations to achieve any level of stability.

Turbo Folders never was stable enough, it's still not complete, while the Extended Associations already worked well. Ulrich decided to combine them, probably because of easier maintenance.

bottomtop

I have now:
De -installed WPS Wizard
De - installed Ewp
Re - enabled Estyler
Re installed WPS Wizard
Installed X workplace
Run Check INI

I made sure the Turbo Folders was not selected.   Things are much more stable now, but the actions that provoked problems make the WPS restart, rather than bringing down the system altogether.   Which is good.  What is bad is that once I click on an Icon, it changes and defaults back to what it was before WPS Wizard was installed (i.e. fancy icon disappears).  Also, the preview/information space no longer provides image previews (JPG etc), only PDF previews.  Odd behaviour!

DougB

I have got to ask: Why do you want to use WPS Wizard?

I tried it years ago, and got it off my machine as quickly as I could. I would never use it again, simply because it does all of the bad things that you are describing. I can't say that I have ever missed it.

Pete

Hi Doug

When I reported problems with WPS Wizard the developer responded that his programming was fine therefore there must be something wrong with my system and he was unable to help.

It is possible that the developer was correct and there could have been something wrong with my system that caused no problems for any other software. However installing WPS Wizard to a new eCS installation (no migration) made no difference.

As the developer was not interested in resolving the issues I simply gave up with WPS Wizard and can only advise others to do the same.

Regards

Pete

aschn

Quote from: Pete on 2012.07.24, 23:16:28
the developer

"The developer" is just Chris, that person who created the NOM thing.

We had much too many developer-bashing situations here in the past
years, so please try to understand (and accept - it's OSS/freeware)
Chris' position.

So, either it works for you or not.

aschn

Quote from: DougB on 2012.07.24, 20:09:03
I tried it years ago, and got it off my machine as quickly as I could.
I would never use it again, simply because it does all of the bad
things that you are describing. I can't say that I have ever missed
it.

I miss many features of it. Adding it to my WPS never worked stable
for a longer time, but I always run other WPS enhancers (at least XWP)
additionally.

I had WPS Wizard once running stable for a longer time coexisting with
XWP. But times changed and I use much more Shared Memory then in those
past days (e.g. Mozilla apps). These days Mozilla and OOo can't be run
simultaneously on any of my installation, at least not stable or for a
longer time. So, why should I bother with adding WPS Wizard to my WPS
utils? First, the main apps have to work - and they unfortunately don't.