• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Anybody going to WarpStock 2012??

Started by miturbide, 2012.08.15, 01:20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

I'm not going to WarpStock 2012... I simple don't have the money to travel from Ecuador to this event.

But I really want to be posting news and anything that happen on the event on that days. ( Friday, August 17 through Sunday, August 19, 2012). Neil Waldhauer (BlondGuy) is going to be like crazy that days with the event and he will need help from any volunteer to post stuff of what is happening.

If anybody is going to WarpStock and would like to send me some daily summary of what happened, pictures, comments, or even live streaming with their phone (qik.com) please let me know. I will be happy to post it at OS2World.com.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

jdeb

I was going to go but the wife got a new job and someone has to watch the grandbabies. I am totally bummed. I went many years ago and it was great.  I am glad I didn't buy the expensive airline tickets, one day later and that would have been a waste. :(
Foxconn P41A-P, Intel E7500, 2 GB DDR2 800, ATI X300, ADATA Sata II 64 GB SSD, 160GB WD Sata II HD, Intel Pro 100/1000, Antec Basiq 350W PS, Antec 300 Case, ECS 2.1

melf

Do someone have some news from Warpstock? Did Mensys for example release eCS 2.2?
/Mikael

miturbide

...seems that this community lacks bloggers :)
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Pete

Hi All

There are a couple of presentations from 2012 on the warpstock website; see http://www.warpstock.org/filemgmt/viewcat.php?cid=32

Regards

Pete

melf

/Mikael

Blonde Guy

Well, I'm finally back from Warpstock. It was smaller than year's past. The contrast was striking compared to last year, which was the biggest in several years.

In response to the question about eCS 2.2 above, we had Roderick Klein presenting on that. It seems that a little more work is needed, so eCS 2.2 will have to wait until everyone is back from summer vacation, then work will be completed.

Probably ACPI 3.21 will be included and enabled by default, plus the miniFS for JFS will have higher performance. Numerous drivers are updated to permit suspend/resume on ACPI-type laptops. I tested this new capability personally on my T61p.

I don't know if it's in eCS 2.2, but we played around a lot with some parts of xwlan. I can remember when XWLAN worked well, but over time, it seems not to work so well. I don't think software really changes as it ages, so what is going on? It turns out that buffer space to hold information about access points is limited, and at this point, there are problems if too many are present. For example, the WiFi on my X60 would not function in the hotel room or lobby.

Steven Levine supplied a scanx.exe that listed over 30 access points available in my hotel room. In the conference room, only three access points were available, so I had no trouble connecting. Even if a fix for the buffer problems is not available for eCS 2.2, it's looking good for a fix in the future.

No one at Warpstock has the Java 6 plugin working, but Roderick said it would be in eCS 2.2. I hope a fix will be available soon.

DMT will be in the build.

User interface enhancements to be added:
file open dialog
save as dialog
sunny icons
new xworkplace with split windows

I'm not sure it's part of eCS 2.2, but OpenOffice 3.5 will include Java 6 support and loading DLLs in high memory.

There was a lot of time for back and forth questions and comments. I wish we'd taken better notes. We were especially short-handed this year with several board members who could not attend for personal reasons. Martin is correct that we need some help for blogging.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

melf

Thanks for your summary Blonde Guy. Interesting stuff about the xwlan, it explains trouble I've sometime experienced.
/Mikael