• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

HP announces SSD business desktop PC with eCS?

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2008.01.26, 02:43:09

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35787/135/

It would be neat to see if eCS would run on it (probably will). With the SSD, it would probably boot very fast(?) ???  ;D 

Robert Deed

SSD is a bit pointless right now, atleast until the long term reliability of the drives are addressed. Solid state memory only has a certain amount of write cycles available over the life of the memory unit.

kim

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.01.26, 05:04:24SSD is a bit pointless right now, atleast until the long term reliability of the drives are addressed. Solid state memory only has a certain amount of write cycles available over the life of the memory unit.

Robert are you really sure about that; that SSD has limited life span; I know that this has been a issue earlier for example when buying memory cards to cameras. But, the last couple of years this isn't an issue anymore. As well, there are several software based firewall and routers that boot the OS from CF-cards. But, if you have a fresh link that can document this; I would be highly interested!

Saijin_Naib

The boot time should be MUCH decreased. I had posted a link here earlier showing 2 XP laptops, one with HDD and the other with SSD, and one booted from cold off to XP in about 17-19 seconds, over the other which took about 30. That should cut eCS boot time down from over a minute to just about a minute.

RobertM

SSDs do have a limited lifespan, but that lifespan has increased tremendously...

Sufficient for regular OS use? dunno. Some vendors used to (recently) indicate the expected number of writes before failure... also, some really high end SSD (or SSD type) HDDs auto reallocate memory that's failing during the write stage, meaning it's transparent to the users (though disk size decreases).

There is new technology out there that doesnt have those limitations (write count limit) - or have drastically higher ones not worth the vendor mentioning - but I think they are few and far between - or not yet released (and either was VERY expensive... one I was looking at woulda bought me a car for the same price).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Samsung's PRAM technology has supposedly unlimited read/write cycles, but last time I checked, a 64mb chip was the size of the average 4gb flash drive and far too expensive.

kim

True, earlier there usually was some kind of information of how long the CF-card would last when speaking of r/w activities, but during the last couple of years this is claimed not to be an issue anymore. Oh and yes, most storage parts have limited life span as well hard drives :-) I had this discussion with a vendor who sold linux based firewalls and routers where they used CF-card to boot the OS and as well wrote the log info onto the card and they've didn't have any issues with this kind of activities. Might be that they buffered a certain amount of log data before storing it on the card.

kim

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2008.01.26, 02:43:09
It would be neat to see if eCS would run on it (probably will). With the SSD, it would probably boot very fast(?) ???  ;D 

Well, that shouldn't be any issue since the SSD drives are connected using either P-ATA or S-ATA interface, ie as a normal hard disk. You're also able to buy small interface card that you can plug-in into the P-ATA/S-ATA socket and then attach a CF-card. I haven't tried that solution, but should work without any problem.

What I have tested is that I have one system that has a CF-card reader and where the BIOS supports booting directly from this and it works like charm! I've tested cloning a WinXP installation to a 2GB CF-card - the system boots way faster and no ticking hard disk noise even if I in this case use a 2.5" inch drive (it's my media server for audio to the stereo where all the music are located on a NAS.).