• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Apache2 & MySql stress issues

Started by kim, 2008.02.04, 17:26:03

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

To be fair, it should be mentioned that I'm performing some stress tests on Apache2 and MySql to see how much I can get out of a system in numbers of page views.

But, during the tests I've done I've noticed that Apache2 after a while gives me following message: host: unknown host -w in the normal Apache2 command line window. Just wondering if anyone would know what going on; I mean unknown host; is it the tcpip stack that is part of this?

Also another interesting thing is that MySql after a while decides to crash and quits on me when the system is under heavy load. Interesting. Guess that there isn't much one can do about that, or?

Paul Smedley

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.02.04, 17:26:03
To be fair, it should be mentioned that I'm performing some stress tests on Apache2 and MySql to see how much I can get out of a system in numbers of page views.

But, during the tests I've done I've noticed that Apache2 after a while gives me following message: host: unknown host -w in the normal Apache2 command line window. Just wondering if anyone would know what going on; I mean unknown host; is it the tcpip stack that is part of this?

Also another interesting thing is that MySql after a while decides to crash and quits on me when the system is under heavy load. Interesting. Guess that there isn't much one can do about that, or?

Are we talking Apache2/MySQL in general, or the OS/2 ports?

kim

No, the above issues was specific for OS2 (using AMPOS2) but the test still shows great performance. MySql itself doesn't seem to eat a lot of memory; but Apache itself eats quite a lot of memory the more I stress the system and when the system finally runs out of memory it looks like that Apache collapses  - system loads goes from 100% to 0% and memory usage goes from a use to very low -  the system seems to start all over again with handling incoming traffic.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.02.05, 09:58:35
No, the above issues was specific for OS2 (using AMPOS2) but the test still shows great performance. MySql itself doesn't seem to eat a lot of memory; but Apache itself eats quite a lot of memory the more I stress the system and when the system finally runs out of memory it looks like that Apache collapses  - system loads goes from 100% to 0% and memory usage goes from a use to very low -  the system seems to start all over again with handling incoming traffic.

Hmmm this fits with what Massimo is seeing after a few days of use.... unfortunately I don't see the problems here with Apache2 running for days and days.

What tool are you using to see the Apache2 memory usage?

kim

I'm actually just looking at how much memory the system have free when I'm hitting on the system with a stress tool and Windows actually shows the same "issue" that Apache eats loads of memory. The maximum memory peak in the Windows environment was around 720mb and where MySql used around 30-40mb.

But, if you have a suggestion on what to specific look for and what tools to use; I will be more than happy to help out with this.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: kimhav on 2008.02.05, 10:18:49
I'm actually just looking at how much memory the system have free when I'm hitting on the system with a stress tool and Windows actually shows the same "issue" that Apache eats loads of memory. The maximum memory peak in the Windows environment was around 720mb and where MySql used around 30-40mb.

But, if you have a suggestion on what to specific look for and what tools to use; I will be more than happy to help out with this.

No real suggestions....

What settings are you using for:
# OS/2 MPM
# StartServers: Number of server processes to maintain
# MinSpareThreads: Minimum number of idle threads per process,
#                  to handle request spikes
# MaxSpareThreads: Maximum number of idle threads per process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: Maximum number of connections per server process

kim

Quick answer to that one; the standard settings in eCS V2.0 RC4; by purpose to see how much the system could deliver. But, I doubt that the system can deliver that much more due to that it only has 1GB memory and that it's runs out of free ram memory on some of the test runs I've done.