• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Lan - How to reset?

Started by Dave Palmer, 2008.02.07, 21:32:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Palmer

Hello -
I am maybe in over my head.  You can tell me if I am.
Running into problems when Win (98 or XP) tries to share a Buffalo AirStation with me (Warp4).  Both systems use hardwired LAN to talk to the Buffalo, which is wireless to a Qwest 2701HG-D DSL modem. 

Sometimes we seem to run into a deadly embrace - other times we don't.  When OS/2 runs by itself, there is never a problem.

But when I get my wife to shut down her system, sometimes I don't get back control.  I am  lan  connected (Davicom DM9 PCI Series Fast Ethernet Adapter) and I can't get online  without rebooting.

Is there a software technique that will let me regain control?

I appreciate any suggestions, tips, etc.
Thanks
Dave Palmer

RobertM

Hi Dave,

I am not sure if this is the problem or not, but I have seen similar issues in the past, usually occurring when another machine tries using the same IP address. The thing is though, the OS/2 boxes will usually (virtually always) switch to a full screen text session and announce such - and sometimes the Windows boxes will show a bubble help also announcing such. I thus am not sure that is your problem, but it might be a place to start...

We've got 2-3 (minimum 2, sometimes 3) OS/2 & eCS machines on the network all the time, with 1-2 Windows machines going on and off the network at irregular intervals. They used to be set up as follows:

• OS/2 & eCS machines with static IPs
  • Windows machines with dynamic IPs

No problems, once the OS/2 machines were using IPs outside of the dynamic IP pool of the router (but still within it's routing range).

That was later switched to all static, again, no problems - except the first setup when we accidentally used the same IP on one Windows machine as was already assigned to an OS/2 machine (prompting the message above).

The only other problem we have seen is that for some reason, one of the OS/2 servers (WSeB) can always ping the other machines on the network, but the other machines (Windows or OS/2) cannot ping it (roughly half the time) unless the WSeB machine pings it first. We've switched routers (now using a Cisco 850 Series) which did not resolve the issue. We've also increased the MTUs to 3 on the OS/2 machines). Regardless, all the machines function fine for Internet traffic whether or not they see the WSeB machine. Using (or not using) the firewall on that machine makes no difference. So, I don't think that is the problem you are running into (unless the problem you are describing is for local traffic - and not Internet traffic).

Other possibilities are (if they apply) due to a firewall/proxy between the machines and the Internet that ceases to function as expected when the OS/2 and Windows machines are both online? Or, something incorrect in the routing tables on one or more of the machines...

What does the routing stuff look like in TCPCFG2?

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

cyberspittle

Hi Dave,

Maybe do a "ipconfig /release" followed by a "ipconfig /renew". If that doesn't work, don't use DHCP and use static IP addressing.

Dave Palmer

Hi Rob,
I thank you for the feedback.

I've seen the bubble message on the Windows machine. 

I'd guess my issue is conflicting static addresses - which I need to research further on the Windows machine.  I've good luck or skill finding out info on OS/2, but 98 and XP have things hidden too well.

TCPCFG yields
ROUTE TYPE   |DESTINATION   |ROUTER         |METRIC   |SUBNET MASK
default               |                          |192.168.0.1         | 1
net                    |192.168.0              |192.168.0.1         | 1             |255.255.255.0

The Qwest DSL provides a firewall - I don't know if that could be contributing to the issue or not.

The documentation on the Buffalo is minimal, and I've not found any tips to help analyze it.

Thanks again,

Dave Palmer

Quote from: James on 2008.02.08, 05:18:50
Hi Dave,

Maybe do a "ipconfig /release" followed by a "ipconfig /renew". If that doesn't work, don't use DHCP and use static IP addressing.

James -
Thanks for the tips on Windows.  I'm on to already - and I'll see how it works out..
Dave

RobertM

Hi Dave,

The OS/2 end looks fine... perhaps check what the Dynamic IP Pool is in the router and give the OS/2 machine a static address outside that pool (but still within it's routing table)? Or assign them all static IPs?

-Robert

Quote from: Dave Palmer on 2008.02.09, 18:59:37
Hi Rob,
I thank you for the feedback.

I've seen the bubble message on the Windows machine. 

I'd guess my issue is conflicting static addresses - which I need to research further on the Windows machine.  I've good luck or skill finding out info on OS/2, but 98 and XP have things hidden too well.

TCPCFG yields
ROUTE TYPE   |DESTINATION   |ROUTER         |METRIC   |SUBNET MASK
default               |                          |192.168.0.1         | 1
net                    |192.168.0              |192.168.0.1         | 1             |255.255.255.0

The Qwest DSL provides a firewall - I don't know if that could be contributing to the issue or not.

The documentation on the Buffalo is minimal, and I've not found any tips to help analyze it.

Thanks again,

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|