• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

NVIDIA Driver 0.0.4 Problem

Started by mobybrick, 2008.03.11, 01:25:40

Previous topic - Next topic

mobybrick

Dear all,

Has anyone tried Nickk's Nvidia MAC driver on a system board with TWO NICs?

Upon booting, the first instance of the driver loads OK, but the second copy of the driver complains about a missing DRIVERNAME entry. It seems that it must be hard-coded to always assume that as it loads, that it is the FIRST NIC.

Anyone else tried this?

Regards,
Moby.

warpcafe

Hi,

no I didn't try (because I don't even have board/laptop with that chipset)... but does the message perhaps reveal *which* drivername is missing? I think it's either related to an entry in the protocol.ini or it's talking about the logical drivername used in config.sys (something with an "$" at the end in the line stating the driver...)
I also don't know that drivers architecture... isn't that a ported linux piece of software?
Either other way, have a look into the according .NIF file (if any), perhaps even the hexedited header part of the driver file... there must be that drivername parameter stated somewhere. Readme's?
I don't think it only supports a single instance of the driver...

Ob, BTW: Did you contact nickk? ;)

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Hi Moby,

Don't know if this will help... but maybe it is like many of the Intel and some of the SMC adapters that required you to enter a slot ID for the card?

In having that exact situation on one of my servers, I recorded the slot info from the pre-boot screen (hex value) and entered that for each card via MPTS (into I think a field called "Slot ID"), and all worked well. Before I did this, I had the same problems you are experiencing.

The only odd thing I noticed was the slots seemed to have two different identifiers each - both sets of which worked. What I mean by that is, I had Intel 10/100 cards, which reported the same hex slot ID as the BIOS did... using those in MPTS worked fine. When I switched to Intel Gigabit adapters and used those same Slot IDs, it still worked - but the drivers indicated the cards were at different Slot IDs than what was defined. When I changed the Slot IDs (via MPTS) to what the gigabit cards thought they were - it STILL worked fine. Without either the first version - or the second version of the Slot IDs, it would fail to load the second card.

You may not run into that problem though - I have 4 PCI busses in the machine - so the second set of slot IDs could just be a combination of BUS/SLOT, while the first set is just the slot ID (which is different for each slot regardless of bus).

So, if you have that field, try to pause your BIOS output when it lists the cards installed, grab the slot info, and add it via MPTS and see if that makes a difference. Or try the PCI Sniffer program to read the slot info from there to add to MPTS - it should (hopefully) correct the entries in the ini files.

Note: to get it to work, I had to drop the "0x" hex value identifier - so as my BIOS reports a card in 0x0060, my entry in MPTS is 0060 (just the hex value). You probably know that or would have figured it out, but I figured I'd mention it just in case someone else runs into the problem who doesnt think of trying it that way.

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

mobybrick

Hi,

No - I don't think its the slot identifier problem, but more of a parsing problem of the configuration space - the driver won't load as a nveth_2 device.

If I take out the first driver (switch it to IBM NULL) and try to load the driver as nveth , it still fails - the driver somehow assumes it must always have a certain name?

Regards,
Moby

Pete

Hi Moby

I have very limited experience of using 2 nics in 1 system; that was with a pair of Intel 100/Pro cards.

To get both to work correctly the driver recognises which nic is which by slot number. The e100beo2.nif has a slot number option; check it in an editor.

Checking the nveth.nif (004) file I do not see a slot number option so wonder if nveth supports more than 1 nic?

Might be worth emailing nickk and asking...

Regards

Pete