• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

the system is stopped

Started by mohamadp, 2008.04.27, 11:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

mohamadp

i have problem in os2 server, my server during working becoming hang and show this message in black screen :  The system is stopped .......
i changed all of my pc configure (Mainboard,HDD,RAM,LAN) even i changed my HUB in lan but the error didn't removal, i need help to know about this error and how i can removal this (tnx)

Saijin_Naib

What does the error say?

Is it a TRAP?

Please type the error here.

Pete

Quote from: mohamadp on 2008.04.27, 11:58:24
i have problem in os2 server, my server during working becoming hang and show this message in black screen :  The system is stopped .......
i changed all of my pc configure (Mainboard,HDD,RAM,LAN) even i changed my HUB in lan but the error didn't removal, i need help to know about this error and how i can removal this (tnx)

Hi

The above problem is most often cured by a simple reboot.

It rarely requires a system rebuild.

Maybe you want to post what the TRAP is and when it happens?

Regards

Pete

NNYITGuy

Hi mohamadp,

To get the TRAP info easier for posting here, use the POPUPLOG.OS2 file from your boot disk.  This should be in your root of your boot drive.  If this POPUPLOG.OS2 file does not exist, look for a line similar to the one below in your config.sys

SET SUPPRESSPOPUPS=<drive>

If the above line is not in your config.sys, then add it into the "REM [5] Environment Variable Statements" section of your config.sys file.  Substitute C for <drive> with no colon to create the POPUPLOG.OS2 file on the next TRAP.  This file will show all the TRAPS that have been logged.

Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

mohamadp

hi pet
tnx for regards, i rebuild in many time but it happend again , maybe it happend 2 times in week it is not happend always
tnx
mohamad

mohamadp

hi Todd
tnx for ur GUIDANCE, i try to get popuplog.os2 file and send it to you , maybe you can DENOTATION the problem
tnx
mohamad

mohamadp

ok sir(sijin), when it happend i surely say to u
tnx
mohamad

RobertM

Hi mohamadp,

From reading through this thread (and if I am understanding the specifics correctly), it sounds like you may have one or more of the following:

• A failing memory module

• A failing CPU

• Overclocked memory (dont do this on OS/2 unless you have extremely high quality memory AND very good cooling)

• Overclocked CPU (dont do this on OS/2 unless you have excellent cooling)

• Possibly (though unlikely) a failing hard drive or a file system error... sometimes when keeping the same hard drive and installing it on a new motherboard, something in the drive translation gets messed up (or improperly re-translated for how the new mobo sees it) which results in occassional read/write errors and/or lost data. IF this turns out to be the case, (back up your data as needed), remove all partitions, use the LVM tool to recreate them during install (ie: you need to do a reinstall - BUT you need to remove all partition information from the drive first)... you can use dfSee to remove all partition info and LVM info, then reinstall. I have a machine that is slowly losing/corrupting more and more data due to this problem...

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

mohamadp

Hi Todd
i get the popuplog.os2 file

SYS3175  PID 000f  TID 0014  Slot 0032   10:27:15    2007-17-12
D:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
c0000005
1bf91320
P1=00000002  P2=0086fffc  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX 
EAX=17a30000  EBX=17a30000  ECX=00870018  EDX=0000001c
ESI=000f0014  EDI=13f5008a 
DS=0053  DSACC=f0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff 
ES=0053  ESACC=f0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff 
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:1bf91320  CSACC=f0df  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=0053:00870000  SSACC=f0f3  SSLIM=ffffffff
EBP=0087002c  FLG=00012202

DOSCALL1.DLL 0002:00001320

i guess is not for this error , because this mesage was past.i try to get it agin.
i will say to u , i changed my lan card from RTL8139 to 3COM C905 famili 3 week ago , dont happen system stop yet ;) , but i dont know why happen this error yet, i will know about it however

mobybrick

Hi guys,

No, if a 'full-screen black TRAP' is received (known technically as an 'Internal Processing Error' or IPE) then the POPUPLOG.OS2 file will not be written to. POPUPLOG.OS2 only gets ring-3 errors (such as a process-specific exception or SYS3175).

The user is patently seeing a SYS3175 (as shown above) but this is NOT the IPE TRAP. He'll have to post the TRAP details when it occurs (crucially the CS:EIP location) for us to help him much further.

Why can the POPUPLOG.OS2 file not be written to after an IPE? Because none of the operating system (os2krnl, file system drivers etc) is left - only the harderr programme to dump the registers is left. The OS simply doesn't run past this point.

Regards,
Moby.

Quote from: NNYITGuy on 2008.04.28, 06:37:21
Hi mohamadp,

To get the TRAP info easier for posting here, use the POPUPLOG.OS2 file from your boot disk.  This should be in your root of your boot drive.  If this POPUPLOG.OS2 file does not exist, look for a line similar to the one below in your config.sys

SET SUPPRESSPOPUPS=<drive>

If the above line is not in your config.sys, then add it into the "REM [5] Environment Variable Statements" section of your config.sys file.  Substitute C for <drive> with no colon to create the POPUPLOG.OS2 file on the next TRAP.  This file will show all the TRAPS that have been logged.

Todd

NNYITGuy

Hi mobybrick,

I did not know this about the IPE / "Full Screen Black TRAP".  So there is no recoding of this info to a file because there is no system intelligence to do the recording.  OK.  Just curious, would a PRNT SCRN work to record it to a device on LPT1: like BIOS issues?

Regards,
Todd

mobybrick

No, print screen won't work because that too needs an OS (to provide software interrupt and handler etc) to be running.

Your best best is to write everything down, or take a photo of the screen.

Regards,
Moby.

Quote from: NNYITGuy on 2008.05.04, 14:56:21
Hi mobybrick,

I did not know this about the IPE / "Full Screen Black TRAP".  So there is no recoding of this info to a file because there is no system intelligence to do the recording.  OK.  Just curious, would a PRNT SCRN work to record it to a device on LPT1: like BIOS issues?

Regards,
Todd

NNYITGuy

Hi mohamadp,

The info you posted on the POPUPLOG.OS2 is from that date you posted.  So, appearantly you are experiencing a problem that is not recorded in POPUPLOG.OS2 as Moby stated.  My thinking was that the info from the error would be easier to post for analysis.

I am not an expert in the POPUPLOG info.  I have to look up the info as it happens.  Sometimes I would have to defer to support request to resolve it further.  But I will help out with the resources that I have and can find.

Regards,
Todd

Saijin_Naib

Isnt there some SHIFT+F10 or F11 thinger that will dump the trap to a floppy?

Pete

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.05.04, 21:16:49
Isnt there some SHIFT+F10 or F11 thinger that will dump the trap to a floppy?

Hi All

Close with the above  - but not quite right.

You need a formatted floppy handy and then you press Ctrl+Alt+Home+Home - or was it Ctrl+Alt+End+End?

Something similar, the "Ctrl+Alt" bit is definitely right but, due either to lack of use or the onset of senility, I cannot remember what the next 2 keys are apart from the fact that they are the same key pressed twice... Aha! the synapses have fired up, it is:-

Ctrl Alt Numlock Numlock

Regards

Pete