Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!  (Read 50207 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 06:59:06 am »
Doug I did a fresh install to another partition that I had set up weeks earlier while waiting for this release.

Some of the particular components needed for these programs were not installed during installation.  As a result, the programs would not work. YUM did not list them as installed after I downloaded the scripts from eCSoft/2 and used the scripts to install.   Once the remaining components were installed by YUM, all three programs work as expected.

AH!, a FRESH install (sorry, I assumed an update).

Of course those components were not installed. They are not needed for ArcaOS to function. It is expected that you will install the requirements for additional programs, when you install the programs. None of the listed programs are a part of ArcaOS, so it would not make sense to install support packages for them. How could Arca Noae know that you are going to install those programs?

FWIW, ArcaOS could install every possible package, but that would probably turn into a real mess after a while (if not immediately). Best to install what you need to run a program that you are installing, when you install it.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 11:46:44 am »
Hi Doug,

I'm using jFTP v5 and there is nothing in POPUPLOG.OS2 - it worked without problems before the update.  Since you mention security updates for Samba I assume they carry over to other network programs than can use them so I will start looking there. 

Is there a list of these security updates anywhere and what one has to do to reset them for SMB client?

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 01:09:40 pm »
NLV is not yet supported. Apparently that will come with version 5.1. I do know that a lot of the work has been done, but it is not, yet, ready.
Thank you Doug.
However, I wanted to use code page 932,850 and the Japanese keyboard layout.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 03:53:51 pm »
However, I wanted to use code page 932,850 and the Japanese keyboard layout.
I understand. For that, you need a DBCS system. For details, ask Alex Taylor or in the Bug Tracker. For changing an en to an jp system, you have to exchange many files. That was never supported by IBM, but if you figure out the differences, it should work.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 06:29:50 pm »
I was wondering if the lastest fixes to XWP made it into this release?

The version in 5.0.4 is labelled v1.0.12+ and dates to April 6, 2019. It includes the fixes below. A beta of v1.0.13 will be out in a week or two containing these changes plus significant enhancements to XShutdown and the Pulse widget.
  • Pulse widget: the graph is faster and the text no longer moves as the numbers change. When a core goes offline, it now displays a dash '-' rather than a number.
  • CPU Temperature widget: this ACPI-based widget was provided by David Azarewicz.
  • XCenter: The 'Create new widget' option can now be accessed from all XCenter menus. Also, a font-size error in 'Diskfree (condensed)' widget has been fixed.
  • XView: Two fixes: Refresh/F5 failed to update Xview and all disks in any view; and, empty folders failed to display newly-added files.
  • Help: Lite builds now omit most pages that refer to features not included in LIte.
  • WPI: Changed default install directory to '$(WARPIN_DEFAULTTOOLSPATH)\xwps' from '$(WARPIN_DEFAULTTOOLSPATH)\WPS\XWorkplace'.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:55 pm »
I'm using jFTP v5 and there is nothing in POPUPLOG.OS2 - it worked without problems before the update

I am using jFTP v5.01 (presumably from the same place that you got v5). I have seen no problems with it. I use this, in jftp.cmd, to start it:
Code: [Select]
java -Xmx512m -Xms32m -jar jftp-5.0.1.jarFWIW, I use jFTP to download test versions of ArcaOS, and they are near 1 GB in size. You may have problems, if something is using too much lower shared memory space.

Since you mention security updates for Samba I assume they carry over to other network programs than can use them so I will start looking there

No. SAMBA does it's own security. Other programs do to, but I don't think there was anything added to them.

Is there a list of these security updates anywhere and what one has to do to reset them for SMB client?

Have you read the PDF and README files, in the root of the DVD? You can mount the DVD ISO as a drive, by double clicking the ISO (change the default drive letter, if you wish), and click MOUNT.  Eject the ISO by using the REMM  widget (REmovable Media Manager - the same thing that you use to eject USB sticks), when you are finished.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 10:27:23 pm »
Thanks Doug,

I didn't have the -Xms32m in the 'parameters' of the program object, adding that appears to have fixed the problem.  Now transferring a little under 2GB to my Linux machine - going well past the point it crashed before.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »
CPU Temperature widget: this ACPI-based widget was provided by David Azarewicz.

Note, that this only works if ACPI supplies temperature information. You can determine that if you do the ACPISTAT command. It will return something like this:
Code: [Select]
Thermal information:
  No Thermal information is available for this computer
near the end, if it does not support it, otherwise, it will indicate that thermal information is available.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 10:46:44 pm »
Thanks Doug,

I didn't have the -Xms32m in the 'parameters' of the program object, adding that appears to have fixed the problem.  Now transferring a little under 2GB to my Linux machine - going well past the point it crashed before.

It was a few years ago, when I started to need that. I don't remember exactly what the numbers mean, but I have had to add it to other JAVA programs too.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 12:27:28 am »
Hi

I still can not get ArcaOS. I asked the order page to build the ISO and I got the confirmation e-mail, but the mail link and the webpage gave me a connection timeout (The connection has timed out). Anybody else with the same problem?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 02:40:58 am »
Anybody else with the same problem?

Yes, received emails for two upgrades yesterday, but haven't been able to download.

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 05:53:14 am »
Hi

I still can not get ArcaOS. I asked the order page to build the ISO and I got the confirmation e-mail, but the mail link and the webpage gave me a connection timeout (The connection has timed out). Anybody else with the same problem?

Regards

I had an issue where something was trying to upgrade the connection from http:// to https:// .  Using http:// finally worked.  https:// will timeout.  It appears that they firewall the https port (443) so instead of a quick connection failed, it just sits there...

xynixme

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 09:55:39 am »
I don't remember exactly what the numbers mean, but I have had to add it to other JAVA programs too.

Not uncommon indeed. You'd find it in batch files of Rexx2Nrx (Rexx -> NetRexx (-> Java)), for example. It's the initial Java heap size, in MiB  (M=MiB).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:59:37 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

xynixme

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2019, 10:11:05 am »
A beta of v1.0.13 will be out in a week or two containing these changes plus significant enhancements to XShutdown and the Pulse widget.
Still have to review any (lite) version first. But if XWP is responsible for giving RMB access to a DOS or OS/2 window with a folder's (e.g. C:\DESKTOP) or drive's (e.g. A:\) directory as the current directory, then there may be a translation error. My reference is eCS 1.x and eCenter, so it may be 100% irrelevant (by now) anyway.

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2111.0;attach=3948

In text: the title bar of the DOS window is translated correctly ("DOS-aanwijzing (venster)"), but the untranslated title bar of the OS/2 window is "Command Prompt (Windows)" instead of an OS-neutral "OS/2-aanwijzing (venster)".

This may have nothing to do with any xWP at all, if it's an OS feature of pop-up menus of WPDrive and WPFolder objects.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 07:56:00 pm »
Anybody else with the same problem?

Yes, received emails for two upgrades yesterday, but haven't been able to download.

Didn't have the "https" url issue, but needed to download using FF on Linux.   I was afraid the update might mung my system as I am using 386 HPFS, but the upgrade was uneventful and everything is working fine.