Author Topic: Arca Noae Package Manager Comments  (Read 20534 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Arca Noae Package Manager Comments
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
Hi

I just started to test Arca Noae Package Manager and I think it is a step in the right direction with RPM/YUM.

I keep disliking Linux FHS, but that is not much related to this software. What I will try, if I finish some other work related things, is to move the path outside C: root like I did it on the past with RPM/YUM.

What do you think about the software? Screenshot and information is welcome for the OS2World Wiki.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: Arca Noae Package Manager Comments
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:06:19 pm »
Hi Martin,

You should definitely use a separate partition (u:) for yum/rpm and it just makes things much easier.

This is what I use, but recently changed the maintenance partition to HPFS file system, since JFS can creep up with problems. 

Good for me on the Package Manager no problem yet, but I've never had to many problems to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:26:00 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:39:06 pm »
Hi Gregg

It is a nice suggestion, but I my personal preference is to try to keep one drive for the OS and Programs. And also to try to keep the directories on the root as minimum as possible, even if it considered impossible... but again, personal preference.

I will keep trying the Arca Noae Package Manager in some experimental VMs to see how it works there.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:47:33 am »
Hi

I just tried a "quick install"  with "zip unzip git openssl curl zlib stdcpp mmap pthread urpo gcc-stdc++-shared-library libc poppler libodin libqt libkai libjpeg libxslt libicu libxml2 aspell "

It gave me this error on poppler.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:44:18 am »
Hi

I just tried a "quick install"  with "zip unzip git openssl curl zlib stdcpp mmap pthread urpo gcc-stdc++-shared-library libc poppler libodin libqt libkai libjpeg libxslt libicu libxml2 aspell "

It gave me this error on poppler.

Yeah, something is broken in RPM/YUM again. Report it, as instructed, and wait for a day. It will probably get fixed.

Note that this is NOT a problem with Arca Noae Package Manager. It is a problem with the package that ANPM gets from the repository. ANPM is handling the problem correctly.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »
Note that this is NOT a problem with Arca Noae Package Manager....

You are right, it seems to be a problem with the packages, yum on the command lines gives the same error.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:07:39 pm »
not issuing a ticket at netlabs for such breaks will hardly give a fix. As we don't monitor those forums a lot.
But as I did by accident today, it should be fixed. The libtiff was in netlabs exp repo and I forgot to move it to rel repo.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:41:38 pm »
Hi Silvan

not issuing a ticket at netlabs for such breaks will hardly give a fix. As we don't monitor those forums a lot.

This is how I use the forums:  I always post it first on the forums and discuss it informally to see if other user has the same issue to confirm it.
If it is an issue that only applies to my specif environment (bandwidth, location, strange experiment, etc)  it is not worthy to open a ticket. If we found it is a common issue that will make more sense to open a ticket.

Thanks for fixing the issue, it worked now without problems.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:37:12 pm »
Linux FHS sucks, look at it, they call that organized, my ass. I also dislike RPM/YUM, when it fails your in deep shit on your system.
Its so easy. OS/2 components OS/DLL, all other dll files in ECS\DLL. If only used by the program, in the program directory. What's so difficult with that concept. By doing so you have most lines already in config.sys. It keeps the config.sys also clean and tidy.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »
Linux FHS sucks..

FHS sucks so bad, that Linux users discuss how to change it and MacOS X and Android tries to hide it from their users :)

But I kind of like how RPM/YUM manage the library prerequisites of the packages, and it makes it easy to install everything from a server instead of going package after package.

Talking about this subject, I kind of like how Mac OS tries to simplify the directory structure for the user. ..which is not real, because it also has a mess of files, but are hidden from the user ;)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:24:48 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:25:48 pm »
By the way....

This is what I'm writing (work in progress) about ANPM.

http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Arca_Noae_Package_Manager_Fresh_Install

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 01:26:26 am »
But I kind of like how RPM/YUM manage the library prerequisites of the packages, and it makes it easy to install everything from a server instead of going package after package.
Sorry to say, but it makes you dumb/stupid. All is done by a program, what's happening you don't know. So you also can't solve problems because you don't know how to. Why are OS/2 users handy with their systems? Because they did install it all by "hand", they know what's happening. Why is Windows always a disaster? A program does the work, the register is way to deep and way to nested. Information is not on one place in the register. User don't know what's happening and how its done, all is shielded.

So a clear readme solves the problem for OS/2 and we can invest the time better in applications which makes the OS more attractive. My two cents so to speak. We are OS/2, not Windows, not Linux. So don't try to be one of them, they have already the struggle to understand our desktop, don't make it any harder.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »
I use applications.

Should one have to select packages if they're required by the application to be able to run?
"Optional" packages can be ok to see.

Packages/libraries (.dll:s) provide functionality to the application, but not to the user... they're not something you can run and get something out of.  So install/update them to use application X if the user has no other options depending on what the application require.

One may have to tinker with config files, but most dll packages tend to be required and give little options other than "take it or leave it". Config files are therefore another thing, they fall in another category.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:10:00 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 06:38:45 pm »
Sorry to say, but it makes you dumb/stupid.
There is really nothing smart about juggling with downloading the correct DLL versions etc. yourself.
E.g., I installed OpenOffice 4 and installed all the needed DLLs. I checked them with PMDLL.
There didn't seem to be any dependencies, which weren't resolved. OO would start and then ... nothing.
After I installed the Package Manager and downloaded the needed packages, finally, I could use OO.
BTW, yum/rpm installs a lot more than just some DLLs.

If you ask me, I'd rather be stupid for letting some tool(!) install the DLLs and porting apps than wasting my time juggling the DLL installs.