• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 3.0 RC2 News

Started by lazy, 2008.06.06, 11:24:55

Previous topic - Next topic

lazy

FireFox 3.0 is out, when do we wait OS/2 vesrion?

Saijin_Naib

melf

My preliminary impressions of FF3.0:

* I only have SNAP vesa support on my graphic card and therefor use Panorama which speeds up things quite a lot, eg scrolling in FF. Now when using FF3.0 its like backing some steps again. It's like it demands more of my graphics.

* FF3 also seems to consume more memory compared to FF2.0.0.14, if I look at the "RAM widget". That indicates nearly double memory use. I don't know the relevance of this as I've understood from earlier discussions that measuring used RAM could be a tricky thing.

* According to same "RAM widget" FF2.0.0.14 gives me back as much memory as FF3 does when closing down.

For the moment I'm going back to FF 2.0.0.14 to get the smooth scrolling back.
/Mikael

lewhoo

I've found one serious issue concerning ff 3 on OS/2. When it is idle in the background, from time to time it causes a cpu usage "peak", so short that it is not registered by XCenter widget. However, it stops z! playing for this short moment, same with TVShow/2 tv app, or when I'm playing an audio from a flash site, it starts to have hiccup.

Not sure if this is really a CPU peak, but I cannot find other interpretation. I think it's quite serious, for it forbids normal multimedia running when ff 3 is on.

cytan

Just out of curiousity, does it use high memory like PmW-Fx does? I've had good success with PmW-Fx which does not eat up shared memory compared to the normal FF release.

cytan

The Blue Warper

Quote from: lewhoo on 2008.06.19, 12:57:57
I've found one serious issue concerning ff 3 on OS/2. When it is idle in the background, from time to time it causes a cpu usage "peak", so short that it is not registered by XCenter widget. However, it stops z! playing for this short moment, same with TVShow/2 tv app, or when I'm playing an audio from a flash site, it starts to have hiccup.

Not sure if this is really a CPU peak, but I cannot find other interpretation. I think it's quite serious, for it forbids normal multimedia running when ff 3 is on.

Hi!
Not sure if this applies to you, but the following suggestion has been in the Mozilla/Firefox/SeaMonkey readmes for a long time:

«
Other important environment variables
[...]

- set NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1
  This causes Firefox not to use OS/2's high resolution timer. Set this if
  other applications using the high resolution timer (multimedia apps) act
  strangely.
»

Is this perhaps your case?

Regards

lewhoo

Perheps. Thanks! I have to try that. I've read the readme, but as I had no such problems with ff2, I simply forgot the issue. Hope this is it.

The Blue Warper

Hi all!

With regard to the reason "Why there will be no PmW-Fx 3.x", Peter Weilbacher (the builder of PmW- 'enhanced' Mozilla branch) has a statement about that here:

http://pmw-warpzilla.sourceforge.net/no_PmW-Fx3.html

Basically, there will be no PmW-Fx 3.x because the current Firefox3 (and SeaMonkey and Thunderbird) OS/2 port is almost entirely based on his 'enhanced' branch and he's going to be the leading builder for future 'official' versions too.

To Peter:
I'd like to thank you for all your efforts in making such apps available to all of us!  I've been using your 'enhanced' versions for years (lost track of it, but since FF 1.x version for sure), though I never sent you a report about my experience, sorry (basically because, quoting Saijin_Naib, "I never had any issue with the PWM Firefox that I felt was necessary to report").
Thanks to Mike Kaply too, who made and maintained for years the official Mozilla branch!