• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Anyone tried the CUPS Warpin Archive yet?

Started by Pete, 2009.08.28, 16:42:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Hi Melf

For auto detection to work I think your (laptop) print server would need to have a bidirectional parallel port and the BIOS would probably need to be set to ECP/EPP (something like that - long time since I bothered with either serial or parallel ports on systems).

The auto detect fails with my printer which is connected to the print server built into my router so don't feel "put upon" about it  :-)

I am surprised that the obvious uri does not work... Are you sure there are not any jobs stuck in a print queue but not visible for whatever reason - check the directories under \var\SPOOL on an eCS system; cannot remember where os/2 has SPOOL... possibly \SPOOL. If any subdirectories contain files then that probably is the cause of the printer being "busy".

I also wonder if CaSe is relevant?... try /LPT1 instead of /lpt1. You could also try ipp:// instead of lpd://

You are using a tcpip connection so lan logon does not apply.

You will find that the \cups\etc\cups\cupsd.conf and \cups\etc\cups\printers.conf give you access to this printer:-

printers.conf has a line that is usually set to

"OpPolicy default"

and cupsd.conf has

"# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic"

If you change those then you need to set up cups users and passwords in the cups admin - Have fun :-)

Hope the above is of some help

Pete

melf

Thomas and Pete, great thanks to both of you. I'll try your suggestions out during the day. I'll remember there is a parallell port setting in bios - I'll check it up.
/Mikael

Paul Smedley

Quote from: melf on 2009.09.20, 21:33:39
I'm also trying the ecups-wpi archive. But there is one thing I need some advice on. My printer is connected to a printer server (an old laptop running eCS 1.2). Internal IP is 192.168.0.142  and printer is connected to LPT1. What do I write in the URI-field? I wrote lpd://192.168.0.142/lpt1 but that doesnt work. It says the printer is busy (which it isn't). Someone who has a similar setup and knows the right way to write it?

What is the name of the 'Physical Name' of the printer object on the laptop running ecS 1.2?  ie RMB on the printer object and click properties.

lpd syntax will be: lpd://192.168.0.142/Physical_Name - where Physical_Name is the 8 character name of the printer

melf

Hi all,
Now I've tried all your suggestions and none worked for me (thanks also to Paul!). I've tried numerous different variants of the suggestions from you and from the helpfiles. As my printerserver also works as a webserver I also deactivated the connection between my webserver and this IP-number and tried again.

Still I get a persistent "recoverable: Network host '192.168.0.142' is busy; will retry in 15 seconds..." message and so on. Printing with ordinary eCS printing system works well. Printer is a Kyocera FS-1000, so no problem with drivers. When trying Pauls suggestion (physical name is KyoceraF) I also thought about eventual case sensitivity.

There is no crisis for me, I can print the old way, but just want to try it out.

Regards
/Mikael

rudi

Are you running a line printer daemon on your "printserver" ? I'd think you have to in order
to access it as lpd://....

melf

Quote from: rudi on 2009.09.22, 08:52:48
Are you running a line printer daemon on your "printserver" ? I'd think you have to in order
to access it as lpd://....

Thanks a lot Rudi - that was the answer! I launched lpd.exe (in /TCPIP/BIN) in my printserver and used the line
lpd://192.168.0.142/KyoceraF in CUPS.

Thanks for help everyone!
/Mikael

djcaetano

The install is great, seamless. But... no luck with the printer we use
on my office (HP Photosmart C4480). I noticed Linux people can use
this using HPLIP driver (together with CUPS), and noticed HP has some
kind of agreement to provide code for supporting HP printers on non-Linux
solutions:

http://spp.austin.hp.com/SPP/SPPMigrated/apdk.aspx

I think Serenity Systems should contact them. This HPLIP

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Supports many HP printers not supported by other opensource
drivers. HPLIP site says:

"HPLIP is free, open source software, distributed under the following open source licenses:
GNU General Public License (GPL) v2
MIT license
BSD license"

But... back to the topic, CUPS could not see printers on the network. Is
there any special configuration I need to edit? (Network printers are
shared using NetBIOS over TCP/IP, not LPD... it will work this way?)

Saijin_Naib

If I recall correctly from Paul Smedley, he has looked at HPLIP but it requires a ton of python and other code to work properly.

My printer/scanner/copier requires HPLIP to function as well.

Pete

Hi djcaetano

I think you may need to look into how samba and cups "hook up" together in order to use a shared printer with cups. I saw a post recently on the gmane.org.netlabs.ecups.devel newsgroup which is probably of interest to you:-

Hi All,

FWIW I just got CUPS to print to a printer that's shared off a Samba
server.

A fixed cupsd.exe is required - it will be available in the next
release.

I had to get this working as my new Qnap NAS only supports printer
sharing using smb - not lpd or ipp :)

If anyone is interested in testing, I can make the new executable
available.

--
Cheers,

Paul.

A later post gives this link  http://smedley.info/cupsd-2009-10-04.zip

Another post reveals this possibly useful nugget "URI syntax is smb://username:password@hostname/queue_name" - something to know when setting up the printer in cups  :-)

This is not something I've needed to try myself so have no words of advice to offer apart from the obvious you would need to install the samba server on the system with the printer attached and share the printer via samba.

I think the latest samba server is here ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/samba/server/

Maybe 1 day someone will get around to porting the hplip software - Paul seems to be involved with so many ports already that he, probably, simply does not have time to port this package.

Hope the above is of some help.

Pete

Pete

Hi

Thought it might help if I add the url for the eCS samba website to my previous post http://svn.netlabs.org/samba

Regards

Pete

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Pete on 2009.10.08, 21:54:16
Maybe 1 day someone will get around to porting the hplip software - Paul seems to be involved with so many ports already that he, probably, simply does not have time to port this package.

Actually, I can easily compile the hplip code - but it uses a bunch of python scripts which are highly tied to *nix that make it hard to configure on OS/2.  I haven't had enough free time to pursue things further - particularly since I moved house in August and seem to have almost zero free time as we're currently renovating.

Hopefully by Christmas things will have settled down a bit.

Cheers,

Paul