• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Getting 1.2 to boot on 64 bit

Started by OriAl, 2011.03.13, 20:18:58

Previous topic - Next topic

OriAl

I'm still having all sorts of problems.  Not knowing what I'm doing gets in the way, so I'm trying to learn.  Anyway, if my 1.2 is 1.2R rather than MR (though I thought I had kept up with all the updates), what files what I need to manually replace on 1.2 to get it to boot on my 64 bit motherboard?  Kernel, uni or SMP, whatever will work.

My 2.0 migration has to be re-done.  I recall it didn't find a sound card, and that it installed Panorama video driver (I was using SNAP, motherboard does have ATI video.)  It found two network cards - the Intel Pro 10/100 I was using, and the built-in, and selected Genmac for both. I also had trouble remembering the settings it asked for networking. (subnet, etc.) - can I use Win to find them, and have someone here write them down for me?

As always, thank you very much.

Alan

ivan

Hi Alan,

First up I need a little information from you before I can begin to try and talk you through this.

I am assuming your motherboard is the Asus M4A89 GTD Pro you mentioned before.

Your eCS 1.2 is on what type of drive IDE or SATA?  If IDE then I assume it is connected to IDE connector on the MB.
What is your CD/DVD drive connected to and can you boot from it?
If you can boot from CD do you have a bootable cd that will allow you to work with eCS 1.2?
IF no bootable cd do you have a way of accessing the eCS boot partition without booting from it to change and/or add files?

The way you change/add files will depend on the answers to those questions.

ivan

OriAl

Quote from: ivan on 2011.03.13, 22:31:37
Hi Alan,

First up I need a little information from you before I can begin to try and talk you through this.

I am assuming your motherboard is the Asus M4A89 GTD Pro you mentioned before.

Your eCS 1.2 is on what type of drive IDE or SATA?  If IDE then I assume it is connected to IDE connector on the MB.
What is your CD/DVD drive connected to and can you boot from it?
If you can boot from CD do you have a bootable cd that will allow you to work with eCS 1.2?
IF no bootable cd do you have a way of accessing the eCS boot partition without booting from it to change and/or add files?

The way you change/add files will depend on the answers to those questions.

ivan

Yes, that's the motherboard. 
It's IDE drive on MB controller.
I have a SATA CD, and can boot from 2.0 or 1.2 CD to access the boot partition.

Thank you.

rwklein

64 bit main boards to my understanding is just not 64 bit only. It can run 32 bit and 16 bit software as well.
I think I briefly read your previous thread. But I did not see you open a ticket at ecomstation.com.

If your machine has more then 2 GB of ram, in general switch to eCS 2.0 and any older version of OS/2. Depending on the hardware eCS 1.2R might just crash and reboot on loading the kernel.

64 bit claims with the current state of technology should not prevent eCS from booting. Some mainboards have problems. But always deal with problem you find first instead of writing long postings. Because clearing up 1 issue you encounter first might fix other issue's.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

ivan

Hi Alan,

When I have time - hopefully tomorrow - I'll set up a test and check what is needed for the transfer from 32 to 64 bit processors.

From memory the only thing I did when I transplanted the hard drive was to use a patched testcfg.sys and had the latest Dani drivers and updated os2krnl, os2ldr and os2dump (matched set).  The patch for testcfg.sys I got from one of the newsgroups.

ivan

rwklein

That patched testcfg.sys is loaded in eCS 2.0 if ACPI is detected in your system.

eCS 2.0 has 4 operational hardware mode.

1. Modern hardware safe mode (all ACPI settings including the patched testcfg2.sys are loaded), except load ACPI itself.
2. Modern hardware ACPI mode (acpi is loaded).
3. Legacy system (no ACPI is detected). That means old testcfg.sys is loaded for legacy systems and isasnp.snp etc.
4. Virtual machine mode.

Roderick

ivan

Hi Alan,

Here are the results of my testing.
There are a few variations from your exact setup.
First, I don't have eCS so I used a copu of OS/2 Merlin with FP 15 applied.
For the bootable CD I used one I had made using Bootable and added the files I wanted to change to it with a friends PowerISO on windows.
The hard disk is a new 150 GB IDE disk with two partitions - a 2 GB formatted HPFS to be the bootable one and a 25 GB HPFS partition, the remainder is blank.
Motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE with a 4 core processor and 4 GB memory.
There are twi CD/DVD SATA drives and normaly there would be a 500GB and 1 TB SATA hard drives fitted.  These I removes for the test and just used the 150 GB IDE drive cabled to the IDE port.

Required files:
os2dump, os2krnl, os2ldr from smp20050811.zip.
doscall1.dll, os2apic.psd from wseb FP3 (expand doscall1.sm_ from disk 10 and  os2apic.ps_ from disk 14)
danis506.add, daniatapi.flt latest from hobbes.
patched testcfg.sys or the pat file.
a text editor to edit config.sys - can be tedit, epm or anything else that is available on the bootable cd.

Patch file:  go to \os2\boot, create a file testcfg.pat with

--------------
; disable APM call (return 0)
FILE TESTCFG.SYS
VER 00001ABC 55
VER 00001ABD 8B
VER 00001ABE EC
CHA 00001ABC 2B
CHA 00001ABD C0
CHA 00001ABE CB
--------------

and do 'patch /a testcfg.pat'

Now comes the interesting part.

Boot from CD and do 'dir c:\' just to be sure you can see your eCS boot partition.

copy os2dump, os2krnl and os2ldr to the root of c: = you might need to do 'attrib -h -r -s os2*' if they wont copy.
copy testcfg.sys, danis506.add, daniatapi.flt and os2apic.psd to c:\os2\boot.
Now open config.sys in the text editor. Rem out apm.sys and vapm.sys and add 'psd=os2apic.psd /smp /pic'
save, and you should be ready to reboot and go, at least I did here.

Because you have eCS 2.0 you might be able to find the necessary replacement files on that cd in which use them in preference to those I have mentioned.
The one I am not sure of is testcfg.sys because Roderick says there is a testcfg2.sys but I do know that OS/2 merlin will not boot without the patched testcfg.sys and remming apm and vapm.               

Pete

Hi Ivan

My eCS2.0 system config.sys file has these 2 lines which may shed a little light on the subject:-

REM DEVICE=H:\OS2\BOOT\TESTCFG.SYS
DEVICE=H:\OS2\BOOT\TESTCFG2.SYS

Near the end of the config.sys file is this morsel of information:-

REM [ Remarks ]
REM -> TESTCFG2.SYS has been patched to support ACPI

Regards

Pete

ivan

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that snippet of information.

At the moment Alan is trying to get his old install of eCS 1.2 from his old 32 bit computer to work on his new 64 bit motherboard.

Not having eCS here I can't say if using testcfg2 from his eCS 2.0 CD would work - what has been changed to look for testcfg2 in place of testcfg?

ivan

OriAl

Thank you, Ivan and everyone.  I'm trying to collect the files.  I found  testcfg.sys on the CD - can I use that rather than patching mine in 1.2?

Again, I wish I knew more what I was doing, but I'm trying to learn and understand what's being said.

I can have more than one eCS C: partition if I use Boot Manager (which is telling me Drive 1 is not ready, press any key?)

ivan

Hi Alan,

You need the patched testcfg.sys for the 64 bit processor and I doubt the one on the eCS1.2 CD is patched.

To make things easy for yourself just have the IDE drive and the CD connected to the motherboard - check the bios settings to be sure you can boot from the CD first and the HD second.

When you have the patched/updated eCS 1.2 up and running then you can add back the other drives and set up bootmanager to boot fron what OS you want.

Attached is the patched testcfg.I used.

ivan

OriAl

I tried copying the files listed to a 1.2 partition.  Booting started, but then I started getting messages that files in config.sys weren't found (they should be), and finally a system crash.

ivan

Hi Alan,

We are getting there.

Now you need to check the config.sys and make sure the correct drive letter is there for the boot partition.  I have had problems with that when I copied an image of the maintenance partition - originally on D: partition to another disk with partitions C: to E: which made the new partition F:, it started to boot but then threw up a series of file not found messages then crashed.

For example, is the eCS 1.2 now the first one the bios sees and hence gives the letter C to it and was it partition C: when you used it last?  If it was D: or some other letter you will have to go through the config.sys and change every D: to C:.  Likewise if it is now D: or some other letter and was originally C: then you change all the C: to the new letter.

ivan

OriAl

It should be C: - that's what I marked it as.  It was a C: before.

ivan

If you have other drives connected or other partitions on the disk the rios may not see it as C: hence the messages you are getting.

ivan