• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Java for os2

Started by eilygre, 2011.03.14, 21:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Joop

Quote from: Joop on 2011.09.02, 21:58:49
Quote from: Joachim on 2011.09.02, 15:05:37
Quote from: Joop on 2011.09.02, 04:20:32
RavenLite runs also fine, but without ripping CD's and without record function because javasound seems not implemented in Open JDK v6.0ga.

Raven Lite is a free software program that lets users record, save, and visualize sounds as spectrograms and waveforms. Raven Lite is intended for students, educators, and hobbyists, and can be used for learning about sounds, as an aid in birdsong recognition ,and in musical instruction. Please read  http://help.ravensoundsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844 first!

Hi Joop,

nice job on this product. However, as far as I can tell, JavaSound *is* actually implemented, see for example http://svn.netlabs.org/java/ticket/67

Regards,

Joachim

Actual playing goes well, its the recording which don't work. In Laoe it also don't work. As far as I can understand from the given info its only partial implemented. I have to ask for sure.
I asked and JavaSound is there, however it relies on the ODIN code and recording sound was not compiled due to making choices what first. We have to wait until its coded in ODIN. So everything which records sound will not work in present Java.

Joop

Grip is working fine, can be found here http://www.grelf.net/download_app.html#N1179668

GRIP was originally designed to stack together astronomical photos taken with a digital SLR camera on a fixed tripod from a light-polluted urban site so that as much faint detail as possible could be seen. Since it started in 2001 it has grown to be a comprehensive image processing and measurement tool that can also be used for working with professional images, such as from space projects, to be found on the Internet.

Joop

Quote from: miturbide on 2011.05.26, 05:14:41
I also tried makagiga, a to do manager and notepad.

http://makagiga.sourceforge.net/

...seems to work fine.
Not on all things, if you choose another skin you get lots of errors.

miturbide

StorYbook is also working.
http://www.novelist.ch/joomla/

"Storybook is a free Open Source novel-writing software for creative writers, novelists and authors which will help you to keep an overview of multiple plot-lines while writing books, novels or other written works."

The issue is that you have to install it on Windows and copy all the installed files to OS/2.
Then it runs by "java -Xmx192m -jar lib/storybook.jar".

The other issue is that I have to invent a complete history with characters, locations and timing to test it out ;)
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

Geonext seems to work fine.
"javaw.exe -cp geonext.jar geonext/Geonext lang=en"

"The dynamic mathematics software Geonext establishes new ways of teaching and learning mathematics. It offers opportunities of visualisation that can't be realised on paper or blackboard and with traditional construction tools. "

http://geonext.uni-bayreuth.de/index.php?id=2453

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

miturbide

GeoGebra seems to work too.

http://www.geogebra.org/cms/en/installers

"Free mathematics software for learning and teaching. Interactive graphics, algebra and spreadsheet. From elementary school to university level. Free learning materials"

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Ben

I finally got around to giving JAVA 6 a go.

No real problem with installing it using the *.WPI file from Hobbes.

I got JSESH working without too much effort. 8)

However, with
JCAD I'm at a loss. :-\

Good job(s) people.

gap

I compiled the Jcad java application.

Not worth any time.

Java code from 2000 that used old style java and barely works on any Ecomstation java
1.3  1.4.1 1.4.2 6.0

greg

Ben

It required compiling?

That's why I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for the heads-up, Greg.

Joop

Quote from: Ben on 2011.09.29, 20:41:09

It required compiling?

That's why I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for the heads-up, Greg.

No, it required Java 1.4.2 ;-) I've running it here and its not a toy program, however I don't use it.

Regards,
Joop

Ben

OIC.

Well then, the question now changes; "how I can get JAVA 1.42 and JAVA 1.6 to work together on the same machine?"

Once I have answered that one, I'll have to give JCAD another try.

Joop

Quote from: Ben on 2011.10.06, 00:14:16

OIC.

Well then, the question now changes; "how I can get JAVA 1.42 and JAVA 1.6 to work together on the same machine?"

Once I have answered that one, I'll have to give JCAD another try.

They don't work together. Make separate directories and start programs with a command file. Your config.sys is occupied with settings for 1.1.8 anyway and can't be used this way. With a command file you have a flexible solution in order to meet every programs desire.

example cmd file;
@echo off
rem Java 1.4.2
SET JAVA_HOME=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA142
set BEGINLIBPATH=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA142\bin
set path=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA142\bin
rem @echo off
rem Java 1.5.009
rem SET JAVA_HOME=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA150
rem set BEGINLIBPATH=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA150\bin
rem @echo off
rem Java 1.6.0
rem set BEGINLIBPATH=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA160\bin
rem set path=[drive:]\JAVA\JAVA160\bin
[program drive:]
cd [program drive:]\CAD\Jcad
java.exe -jar jcad.jar

As far as I know Jcad has an update under the name 3dmatrix.

Pete

Hi Joop

I recommend deleting all java related lines from config.sys except set classpath - and that should be modified to this:-

SET CLASSPATH=.\.;L:\OS2\JAVAAPPS\LVMGUI.ZIP;L:\TCPIP\java;

Obviously the above drive letter should reflect the correct drive for your system.

Why anyone would want java1.1.8 installed I have no idea... Shame that eCS insist on installing that old crap if you totally deselect java during eCS install. Mind you, eCS manages to muck up quite a lot during installation; deselect DOS/Win16 support and you then spend time deleting unwanted DOS lines from the config.sys file. Maybe 1 day that will get put right but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Instead of using a command file to start java apps I simply create a program object with the required Drive:\Path\java(w).exe in File and path name and -jar Drive:\Path\filename.jar as Parameters.

Regards

Pete

Joop

Quote from: Pete on 2011.10.06, 02:33:32
Hi Joop

I recommend deleting all java related lines from config.sys except set classpath - and that should be modified to this:-

SET CLASSPATH=.\.;L:\OS2\JAVAAPPS\LVMGUI.ZIP;L:\TCPIP\java;

Obviously the above drive letter should reflect the correct drive for your system.

Why anyone would want java1.1.8 installed I have no idea... Shame that eCS insist on installing that old crap if you totally deselect java during eCS install. Mind you, eCS manages to muck up quite a lot during installation; deselect DOS/Win16 support and you then spend time deleting unwanted DOS lines from the config.sys file. Maybe 1 day that will get put right but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Instead of using a command file to start java apps I simply create a program object with the required Drive:\Path\java(w).exe in File and path name and -jar Drive:\Path\filename.jar as Parameters.

Regards

Pete
This is not a wise solution. You need Java 1.1.8 for tcp/ip, it seems hardcoded at some point. A program object does not have enough options to store some settings found in some Java apps. I have setups which are complicated and are not started with a simple filename.jar. Next you don't have the room to do some smart things with the -d command. So you always use the home directory which goes the way like seen with Windows and we all know where that ends. Which idiot ever choose to do so didn't know anything about OS systems. With the -d command you can setup the home directory in the program directory. So you don't pollute your OS drive which will stand for more stability. Some Java apps have there own parameters and you can't setup a bugtracker in Java for redirecting the bugs to a separate file. Of course its up to you, I tried, the program object does not have enough options to accommodate all.

Regards,
Joop

Pete

Hi Joop

Sorry but I disagree with you on a couple of points:-

1] java118 is *not* required for tcp/ip - here I think you are referring to the tcpip configuration notebook; that has not needed java118 for years.

2] My HOME directory is on a drive dedicated to storing data and configuration files (usually for linux or java apps). Neither PROGRAMS or HOME is on the same drive as the OS - a setup that makes a lot of sense to me as it means that I can update(or backdate if necessary) the operating system without worrying about installed software and stored data.

I do, however, agree that setting up java program objects will not work for all java apps but the only app I have had installed that needs a command file is Borland JBuilder due to the length of the required Classpath. Using a program object does work well for java apps that do not require an extensive classpath or over long command line.

Regards

Pete