• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Qt version 4.7.3

Started by miturbide, 2011.09.18, 06:48:58

Previous topic - Next topic

DougB

Two things:

Yes, I load QLIPSHARE at boot time.

I had missed the part where the older WPI packages load themselves into the eCS directory, so BIN was sort of hidden from view (another good reason to not do stupid things like that).

I uninstalled the old QT4, using WarpIn, and that seems to have worked fine. I then unzipped the new file into C:\QT4 and added the C:\QT4\BIN directory to both LIBPATH, and PATH. Rebooted, and reinstalled QLIPSHARE to make it work. Everything else (that I use) seems to be working.

melf

I forgot that I installed the older qt4 with warpin, so I just deleted the content of my old qt4-folder and put the new one's there and added the new path. This didn't work and I realised there were conflicting dlls, so I deleted all dlls beginning with qt4 i C:\ecs\dll and that worked fine. It is a simple install really and I can't see the need of RPM - which has been said to be needed due to complicated dependences and so on. Well, Warpin had worked great.
/Mikael

rudi

Quote from: Pete on 2011.09.23, 20:12:56
I did create a Ticket about this in the qt4 bugtracker a couple of days ago but it looks like the ticket has been removed as I cannot find it listed in the current ticket list.

Maybe it is all a plot to make us use yum/rpm...

No it isn't. The there is a reply to your ticket and it has been closed. If you look at http://svn.netlabs.org/qt4/timeline you will find it right on the  top.

CDRWSel

Quote from: DougB on 2011.09.23, 23:14:49
Two things:

Yes, I load QLIPSHARE at boot time.

I had missed the part where the older WPI packages load themselves into the eCS directory, so BIN was sort of hidden from view (another good reason to not do stupid things like that).

I uninstalled the old QT4, using WarpIn, and that seems to have worked fine. I then unzipped the new file into C:\QT4 and added the C:\QT4\BIN directory to both LIBPATH, and PATH. Rebooted, and reinstalled QLIPSHARE to make it work. Everything else (that I use) seems to be working.

Ok, i'll give a try of the zip file according all suggestion I could read.
If it is easy to update, i'll check previous WPI path structure and try to build a WPI model for QT. The nice with WPI is that it can run some extra user code...

Pete

Hi rudi

Yes, I see the ticket using http://svn.netlabs.org/qt4/timeline

However, my point was that the ticket is not visible using View Tickets which is where I expected to find it.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi doug

So, you'd need to close QLIPSHARE before updating qt4.

Regards

Pete

DougB

Quotei'll check previous WPI path structure and try to build a WPI model for QT.

Actually, it is just as easy to simply unzip the new one, then put the paths in CONFIG.SYS You still have to uninstall the old one (using WarpIn) before doing that. Why they want to complicate a very simple install, by using RPM/YUM, I will never understand. Even using WarpIn is more complicated.

QuoteSo, you'd need to close QLIPSHARE before updating qt4.

Yes, but it isn't difficult to do the update anyway. I simply forgot about that program, since it just sits there, and works. It is very convenient when I need to copy something from one system to another.

In fact, I moved the QT4 directory to my programs/data disk, and now I have ONE copy of the QT4 directory that is used by both of my boot systems. That saves about 40 meg on each of my boot disks. I am going to move the EMX stuff too, but that makes less difference (about 760K).

StefanZ

xsystray.dll is not part of the compiled release?  :-[

Paul Smedley

Quote from: DougB on 2011.09.24, 19:27:02
That saves about 40 meg on each of my boot disks.

In the days or terabyte hard drives, people are really still concerned about 40mb of files?

CDRWSel

Terabyte disk are only good to put user datas or archived files.
Now, mostly older PCs are using mecanical hard drive as boot partition 

Today, boot OS is installed on high speed disk. Most nice systems uses SSD (16GB, 32GB or 40GB)
This is the way where it goes (very quick boot time and application respns time. So do new tablette etc... SSD build in)

SSD above 40GB are too expansive and not interesting !
As soon more OSes are installed or a backup boot partition is created, the real available space could drop to less than 10GB and when you know that to peserve SSD lifetime, you need a lot of free space to allow the buildin firmware to correctly optimize nand utilization, the size could drop less than 5GB for a correct usage !

Yes, big programs could be a problem and reduce SSD lifetime (this was't te case of mecanical HD)
Programmers should take care of this evolution to be up to date.
Cheers

DougB

QuoteIn the days or terabyte hard drives, people are really still concerned about 40mb of files?

Yes. Not because of a lack of disk space, but because it takes time to back up 40 MB of files. If I can put that onto a common disk, that gets backed up every night, I don't have to back it up when i back up the boot disks. Personally, I take as much stuff off of the boot disks as possible (well, not quite), so that I don't have to reinstall a bunch of stuff when I do an OS update. I find that I can share a lot of it between different boot systems too. Like QT4, on a drive that I use with both eCS 2.0, and eCS 2.1, makes it easier to keep the "older" system up to date, because I just have to update it once, and both systems benefit.

QuoteTerabyte disk are only good to put user datas or archived files.

This is not entirely true. You CAN put boot drives on Terabyte disks. You just need to follow the directions found on the eCS 2.1 install CD (and fight with windows to use the disk geometry installed by eCS, if you want to install windows too).

I really question the desirability of using SSD on a desktop system. They can be useful on a laptop (or the like) because they are more likely to be "shocked", but performance (for more expense) is a trade off for long life. Performance is also affected by using a file system with a large cache (JFS). Of course, every user has different requirements (please take note, for those who seem to think that RPM/YUM is desirable), and every system can be tweaked to perform as the user wants. If SSD really buys you something, then use one, but I suspect that most people will find little actual difference, until they drop their portable device.

ivan

I think I've found another problem with this version of Qt4.

We use SIR 2.1.1 for image resizing - at least we did until the upgrade of Qt4.  The output from the cameras is JPG which SIR handled very well in the past - now that format doesn't even appear in the conversion dropdown.

To check the problem I restored the older version of Qt4 from backup to one workstation and the JPG option appeared and I could resize the JPGs as before.

Now I must seriously think about downgrading all the workstations to allow us to continue working, that is unless there is a way for this latest Qt4 to be made to work with standard JPEG graphics files.

Does anyone know of a work round to do this?

ivan

Pete

Hi ivan

I've not used sir before so thought I'd have a look at it.

I see no problem with jpg/jpeg files, they can be added to the action window.

I added a bmp file to the action window and the Target Format dropdown does show jpg and jpeg.

However, sir cannot open the bmp file chosen so cannot convert it to jpg.

I think I'll carry on using PMView or nconvert for my graphics conversions/resizes.

Regards

Pete

Tellie

Hi Ivan,

You mean Sir 2.1.1 from Netlabs
I ported that.
I tried today with qt 4.7.3 and here i can still convert a jpg to png or any other format.

Can you describe what you tried and not worked ?

Mayby i can recompile to 4.7.3

Please email me @ elbert dot pol @ gmail dot com

A picture allways help to show what you mean..

rudi

This is most likely an installation issue. It looks like Qt is not finding it's plugins (in this case the image format plugin for JPEG). How was this Qt installed ? What does the directory structure look like ? Are there any stray "qt.conf" files ?  If everything else fails, it might also help to delete the file %HOME%/.config/trolltech.ini