• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eComStation 2.1 + Sigurd versus HP SLate 2 Touch PC

Started by Sigurd, 2012.01.29, 01:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

Hi,

I am trying to install eCs on the new HP Slate 2 Touch PC. Unfortunately for most of you I do report it here in German, please use online translator if you are interested in. Sorry, but I have not enough time to write in both languages.

The thread to follow, if you are interested in, is here:

http://www.commtalk.org/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showthreaded.pl?Cat=1,3,16&Board=os2hardware&Number=79431&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

Each of my messages contains a picture. To see it please do click on the ANHANG field on the left side.

I hope you enjoy - help and tips allways welcome!!

Sigurd

Sigurd

Hi,

after some investigating I found this information here, as Linux Installations does have problems with the HP Slate (with GMA500 chipset, the HP Slate 2 does have GMA600 chipset, but the problem may be the same) Graficsadapter as well:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=87132

and here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1792777

So it seems to me, that I have to add a line like: vga=0x315 to the graphics driver.

Can someone tell the way to do this?

Thanks, as it seems to me, that this is the "only" barrier I have to overcome for now.

wimpie

Quote from: Sigurd on 2012.01.30, 09:25:59
So it seems to me, that I have to add a line like: vga=0x315 to the graphics driver.

Hi Sigurd,

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Graphical_boot for more information.

But are you sure that this is the problem that prevents you from booting eComStation successfully? There is a known problem in the USBEHCI.SYS device driver in USBHCD179.ZIP from Lars Erdmann that results in the host controllers not being initialized correctly that leads to hangs on boot and horrible data transfer rates. Try the IBM:10.162 drivers instead.

Wim.

Sigurd

Quote from: wimpie on 2012.01.30, 15:35:40
Quote from: Sigurd on 2012.01.30, 09:25:59

Hi Sigurd,

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Graphical_boot for more information.

But are you sure that this is the problem that prevents you from booting eComStation successfully? There is a known problem in the USBEHCI.SYS device driver in USBHCD179.ZIP from Lars Erdmann that results in the host controllers not being initialized correctly that leads to hangs on boot and horrible data transfer rates. Try the IBM:10.162 drivers instead.

Wim.

Hi Wim,

thanks for this, I will then give it a try with the USBEHCI of Rüdiger Ihle, that is supplied with Emperoar.
The error Splash Screen comes that quick that I thought that this occures before loading USB Drivers.
I will as well delete the OS2LOGO from the Image "Clon" file and see if this brings progress as well, so that I may can see wich drivers are
loaded and there is no need for a grapic file to be loaded in memory while booting.

I will report progress.

Thanks again,

Sigurd

Sigurd

First I forgot to mention the great support and aid given by Jan van Wijk while I was trying to clon and restore the partition!

Well, once I disabled (by renaming) the OS2LOGO file and replaced the USBECD the boot process continued after about two minutes of showing this:

see picture one of three

with ALT+F2 I saw some drivers very very quick loading and then it stops again with this picture:

see picture two of three;  INSTALLED OS2LVM.DMD

again it stopped ( or seems to stop ) for one minute and finally stops with the famous:

OS/2 can not operate your hard disk drive

see picture three of three

What I want to try now is: deactivate as much drivers as possible with the clon

Are there suggestions, ideas??!

Thanks!

ivan

Sigurd,

From memory of long ago, I seem to remember that there was a list of essential drivers needed to boot OS/2 available with the very early versions of DFSee.  At least that is where I think I got the list to make the first bootable CD I used to setup drives.

I don't know if it will be of any help to you but I will look up my old CDs in the morning.

Another thing, could the problem with the drive be AHCI related?

ivan

wimpie

QuoteAre there suggestions, ideas??!

Hi Sigurd,

A shot in the dark. Your boot drive got the wrong drive letter? Or no drive letter at all? May be you have a usb stick or usb external drive attached ? Try without usb drivers.

Wim.

RobertM

The other possibility is there's some odd partitioning information on the disk that eCS cannot handle. That was problematic with Warp 4 (and even ACP/MCP) but was supposed to be resolved with eCS. But, with the variants of restore partitions, diag/tool partitions, hidden partitions, backup partitions and so on, it is possible something new/different was introduced that eCS cannot deal with - thus once LVM loads, it runs into an issue. IF that's the case, dfSEE can resolve that by fully removing everything from the disk. Existing partitions that are needed, can of course be backed up first (as images) so that certain ones can be restored later.

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Paul Smedley

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.02.02, 01:20:05
The other possibility is there's some odd partitioning information on the disk that eCS cannot handle. That was problematic with Warp 4 (and even ACP/MCP) but was supposed to be resolved with eCS. But, with the variants of restore partitions, diag/tool partitions, hidden partitions, backup partitions and so on, it is possible something new/different was introduced that eCS cannot deal with - thus once LVM loads, it runs into an issue. IF that's the case, dfSEE can resolve that by fully removing everything from the disk. Existing partitions that are needed, can of course be backed up first (as images) so that certain ones can be restored later.

I found regressions between eCS 2.0 and 2.1 in relation to disk layouts.  My Thinkpad T60 has Windows XP, Ubuntu and eCS on it.

eCS 2.0 is happy with the partition layout, 2.1 has a complaint about linux partitions and refuses to proceed.

Sigurd

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.02.02, 01:20:05

Best,
Rob

Hi Rob,

thanks to you and Paul, Wim and Ivan for giving advice. Unfortunately I can not wipe the whole HDD (as I did sometimes before with other Net-/Notebooks) with DFSEE because I have to keep the preinstalled Windows 7 on it. And a "new" installation from the Recovery DVD shipped with the Slate will destroy/overwrite the DFSEE Disclayout with the "Factory Disc Layout" again. But, I will try this if everything else will faile to see if I can Recover Windows 7 without changing the Layout.

As well I can not access the HDD of the Slate via eCS 2.1 or 2.0 boot CD nor DFSEE boot CD. Therefore I will give, as Jan van Wijk suggested, a bootable USB DFSEE Stick a try and see where this will lead me.
As well I will install a second OS/2 on the PC wich holds the "Clone Installation" to perform a CHKDSK /F from another primary partition on the one, I want to clone, REM a lot of drivers in config sys - but have to leave at least one USB EHCI driver, USB keyboard and mouse, because otherwise I will have no possibility to interact with the operating system at all - and make a new clone image.

As I am very busy now it will take time till the weekend to proceed.

Thanks again,

Sigurd

Sigurd

Hi,

for your information:

I tried to access the HDD from a DFSEEE boot USB Stick 11.0 - but unfortunately no success (see picture). So I can not wipe the wohle HDD with DFSEE.

Booting Ubuntu 11.10 and Knoppix 6.7.1 failed as well (no wonder here, but I gave it a try) because these can not find a hdd...., even Live CD mode failed (may be due to the vga 0X315 error, but the error message was as well related to the hdd).

So I started a Windows 7 installation from scratch, choosed the "Manual Installation" and partitioned the hdd to have 5 GB at the beginning free (before the eCS partition was behind the Windows 7 partition because I was not able to move the original installation to gain space at the beginning).

More to come.

Sigurd

Hi,

still take some time to investigate in this project. While I am building a special Warp 4 BootCD for the Slate I would like to ask the following:

- as it seems that the boot process stops for eCS 2.1 because of the boot logo I would like to open the ecs 2.1 CD 1 iso to disable the OS2LOGO file be renaming and then "close" the iso and burn it on CD so that the Boot splash screen will not appear.

-> what is the best way to do this?
-> where is the file located in the iso - do I have to extract it somewhere? If - how?

Thanks!

Joachim

Quote from: Sigurd on 2012.02.09, 12:03:43

Hi,

still take some time to investigate in this project. While I am building a special Warp 4 BootCD for the Slate I would like to ask the following:

- as it seems that the boot process stops for eCS 2.1 because of the boot logo I would like to open the ecs 2.1 CD 1 iso to disable the OS2LOGO file be renaming and then "close" the iso and burn it on CD so that the Boot splash screen will not appear.

-> what is the best way to do this?
-> where is the file located in the iso - do I have to extract it somewhere? If - how?

Thanks!

Hi Sigurd,

you can disable the OS2LOGO from the preboot menu, use the 'eComStation BOOT OPTIONS: Miscellaneous' screen -> 'Do not display bootlogo' checkmark.

Regards,

Joachim

Sigurd

Quote from: Joachim on 2012.02.09, 14:37:03

Hi Sigurd,

you can disable the OS2LOGO from the preboot menu, use the 'eComStation BOOT OPTIONS: Miscellaneous' screen -> 'Do not display bootlogo' checkmark.

Regards,

Joachim

Oh, thank you Joachim, I think I do have to apologize for this kind of rookie mistake!!

hartelijk dank!

Sigurd

Well, unfortunately the eCS 2.1 installation CD still stops dirct at the beginning when space is checked for the RAM disk (mem disk) (I guess) because it just says:

Only 29MB of RAM availiable....

(Megabyte)

So, I will follow the path with a customized Warp 4 CD, I tried one of mine from 2001 created with UPDCD and NOT using "No emulation boot" (not using the memdisk method of Veith Kaennegießer), that went very quick through (without all this hangs and timeouts I described before)  till "can not operate hard disk" - what is no suprise at all because of the missing AHCI driver.

May be I will get a new Warp 4 CD created with UPDCD that does not use the "No emulation boot" and add AHCI and USB Support, I can not use eCS 2 or 2.1 for this because UPDCD does not support them.