• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RPM YUM error

Started by Blonde Guy, 2012.03.25, 23:36:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde Guy

I think I need help with what I hope is a simple error. I have used RPM YUM to install Qt 4.7, and I thought it was working well. But now I get the following error when I type

yum update

and I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\USR\BIN\YUM", line 29, in <module>
    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 254, in user_main
    errcode = main(args)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 109, in main
    result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()
  File "/@unixroot/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 352, in doCommands
    self._getTs(needTsRemove)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 99, in _getTs
    self._getTsInfo(remove_only)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 110, in _getTsInfo
    pkgSack = self.pkgSack
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 777, in <lambda>
    pkgSack = property(fget=lambda self: self._getSacks(),
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 567, in _getSacks
    self.repos.populateSack(which=repos)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 279, in populateSack
    sack.populate(repo, mdtype, callback, cacheonly)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 187, in populate
    dobj = repo_cache_function(xml, csum)
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sqlitecachec.py", line 46, in getPrimary
    self.repoid))
  File "/@unixroot/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sqlitecachec.py", line 31, in open_database
    con = sqlite.connect(filename)
sqlite3.OperationalError: unable to open database file
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

diver

try "yum clean all"
and you are sure you did not delete any files by accident?

Blonde Guy

yum clean all worked on the first machine, but now I have one with a nearly identical error. yum clean all doesn't change anything.

I'd like to remove/reinstall rpm yum and then I can install everything else. Is there an automated way to uninstall rpm yum?

David McKenna

Any chance you updated a component originally installed by YUM manually? I had similar errors when I installed Python 2.7 manually in a different directory (Python 2.6 is used by YUM)

Blonde Guy

Sure enough, removing my copy of Python made RPM/YUM work again. I was using Python 2.6 same as RPM/YUM, but removing it made RPM/YUM work. I was using Python in support of Scribus, so I'll have to see what it takes for those to to get along together.

ivan

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2012.05.05, 19:25:13
Sure enough, removing my copy of Python made RPM/YUM work again. I was using Python 2.6 same as RPM/YUM, but removing it made RPM/YUM work. I was using Python in support of Scribus, so I'll have to see what it takes for those to to get along together.
And there we see the one big failing of RPM/YUM - OS/2 is not like the linux distros that use RPM/YUM as the ONLY way of adding anything to an install.  With OS/2 we have several ways of adding programs, utilities etc. to our instillations with Warpin being the better choice. 

I have never been a great believer in reinventing the wheel.  I can remember the debates when Warpin was first introduced but it has proved to be very usable, especially when the packager takes care in producing the necessary install script.

Somehow I don't think that RPM/YUM will get to that state as it requires uniform installs to have a good chance of working correctly.

ivan

aschn

Quote from: ivan on 2012.05.05, 23:45:08
And there we see the one big failing of RPM/YUM - OS/2 is not like the linux distros that use RPM/YUM as the ONLY way of adding anything to an install.

Agreeing, but what we see is not a fail of RPM/Yum.

With OS/2 we have several ways of adding programs, utilities etc. to our instillations with Warpin being the better choice.

By far not: Dmik explained in the relevant RPM bug on SVN all the details and what WarpIN misses. Read there. His past releases show already the great advantage.

I have never been a great believer in reinventing the wheel.  I can remember the debates when Warpin was first introduced but it has proved to be very usable, especially when the packager takes care in producing the necessary install script.

Nothing to reinvent here: RPM allows to add REXX scripts (see how WPS objects are created) and if an RPM-installed component doesn't work because of another package is installed, then the RPM REXX scripts have to be improved. If it won't work anymore, because an additional package (maybe WarpIN-installed) was added, then the installation of that additional package has to be improved. We had that kind of discussion of buggy WarpIN scripts so many times that I don't feel the need to name examples here.

Andreas

Blonde Guy

Even though RPM/YUM failed me here, it was easily corrected. I have written Suntan Special to install/configure programs distributed through zip, custom installers, IBM installer, Feature Installer, WarpIN and now RPM/YUM. I'm probably more likely than most to encounter bugs and inconsistencies.

I think RPM/YUM is the best thing yet. When it works, it works very well. I'll be digging around RPM/YUM to do more interactivity with Suntan Special. Can you explain where the documentation is for REXX additions to RPM packages?

aschn

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2012.05.07, 05:57:23
Can you explain where the documentation is for REXX additions to RPM packages?

I meant for the RPM/YUM programmers.

I haven't tried that, but even for packagers it seems possible:

See http://svn.netlabs.org/rpm/wiki/RpmHowToPackagers, the last two sections. .exe files can be called and apparently .cmd files have to be compiled to .exe files. See makefile.in at the bottom and the .cmd files in http://svn.netlabs.org/rpm/browser/rpm/trunk/scripts. Here's the ticket for it: http://svn.netlabs.org/rpm/ticket/4.

The question is: How should an additional install script be installed or distributed?

Andreas