• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

QT 4.x framework Port

Started by miturbide, 2008.01.07, 23:58:55

Previous topic - Next topic

osw

Quote from: diver on 2009.10.01, 20:07:35
yes exactly the c:\psfonts\... needs to exist.
otherwise you see the crash, like mentioned in the readme. this is a restriction of the current QT4 beta

Thanks. Games are working well now. Good job done on qt4 port. Waiting for more ;)

chennecke

Hi,

I just found out that there is another very interesting apps that could be ported when Qt4 is available: VLC, the Video Lan player. Previously this would have neither been possible nor feasible because VLC used the WxWidgets GUI library, was rather clumsy to use, and had many security issues. But the developers have switched to Qt4 and have apparently improved the app across the board. What makes this interesting is the fact that it's not just a player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

The required libraries are listed here: http://wiki.videolan.org/Contrib_Status

diver

there are plenty of interesting apps to port ;-)

but i can't state it enough i guess. first we need to finish the Qt4 port. And when ppl really look to the already sponsored units, we have a long way to go.

so please ppl try out what we have report possible bugs and send money.

regards
Silvan

miturbide

Hi

I found this site.
http://www.qt-apps.org/

It can help us knowing the posibilities of what can it be ported to OS/2 with QT4.
Thats why it is important to sponsor the QT4 port project.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Saijin_Naib

We have a Wxwidgets library for eCS. Why would it have been impossible?

chennecke

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.10.02, 22:29:14
We have a Wxwidgets library for eCS. Why would it have been impossible?

Because WxWidgets was never completed and lacked all kinds of important functionality.

chennecke

Quote from: diver on 2009.10.02, 16:33:01
but i can't state it enough i guess. first we need to finish the Qt4 port. And when ppl really look to the already sponsored units, we have a long way to go.

so please ppl try out what we have report possible bugs and send money.

First bug report for SMPlayer 0.6.8 beta 1 is filed. Looks really promising.

As for the money, I cannot afford donating to the project at the moment.

Blonde Guy

It's important to finance QT 4.x, and I think people will spend money on things they understand, but a framework is not really that attractive to the end users who really have the money spend.

Some applications, like OpenOffice.org or PMMail/2 are generating significant income.

Is there some application that uses QT 4, and would be attractive to end users, that you can sell? Over time, that could finance development quite nicely.

I'm aware of other means to help finance QT 4, and I hope they come through.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

ivan

Since Nokia are the owners an are developing QT 4 for several rather obscure handset OSs has anyone thought to ask them if they will help?

diver

I doubt Nokia would be of any help. But one can always try.

To Neil:
you are probably right about the attractivity of the framework. But the apps we port are of course atractive to most ppl i'd say.
But i don't want to charge money for apps i port, as all of them are opensource projects.

And if you look what we already ported, or whats in the works i'd say it very good. So if ppl don't spend money for the framework, there will be no more ported apps. And i think this would be a big loose.

regards
Silvan

miturbide

Have anybody tried QT Creator for Windows ?
It is portable to eCS-OS2 ?

In the botton of this page there are the links to the source code:
http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads#lgpl

From that package I had tried QT Lingustic for Windows, it is a tool to help you translate some tools. I use it to help translating iTALC to spanish. But I think the interesting one will be QT Creator which is a development enviroment.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Blonde Guy

Quote from: diver on 2009.10.11, 16:30:47

you are probably right about the attractivity of the framework. But the apps we port are of course atractive to most ppl i'd say.
But i don't want to charge money for apps i port, as all of them are opensource projects.

And if you look what we already ported, or whats in the works i'd say it very good. So if ppl don't spend money for the framework, there will be no more ported apps. And i think this would be a big loose.

regards
Silvan

I enthusiastically agree that the apps you port are attractive. But I do not understand why you would not be willing to charge for an open-source program. Yes the source code is free, and anyone who can build the app can build it for free, but why not charge some reasonable amount to build it for them?

Many users have no idea how to build an open-source app. You are performing a valuable service and you should be compensated. Charging for your build of say Virtual Box, would be legal and I think also a good idea.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

chennecke

I don't know if it's such a good idea. Look at how people react to the OpenOffice.org Service Agreement. They just won't stop whining about "having to pay for Open Source software" and accusing Mensys/SSI of violating the license. Well, yes, some have shut up after being told that they are free to get the source code -- which is available -- and build it themselves. But it seems that many are just biting the bullet because there is no alternative. Extending that model to other applications might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Sad but true.

onlineuser2

Supporting the porting is not selling the final product.

In fact some bounty projects are about porting

onlineuser2

miturbide

Well, charging money for porting an open source software it is a service.  Sure people can charge for it. But according to the licensing rules they most release the source code. 

And of course there are some open source license that allow you to sell the binary, but you have to release the source code. But in the long term selling the binaries is not a good business, since there can be another one to grab the source code compile it and give the binary for free.  That's why in the open source software business money  the most common way to make money is on services (Support and customization).
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide