• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

os2ldr

Started by AAA, 2008.02.02, 23:40:57

Previous topic - Next topic

AAA

yes,  custom version of os2ldr is coming.  we may expect it within a couple of weeks.
the only info that i have is that a group coordinated by pasha is doing it.

os2krnl may also come (of course not in two weeks :) ).

Saijin_Naib

What are these files for?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.02.03, 00:06:51
What are these files for?

They do OS/2 things... hence their names... ;)

More specifically, and if memory serves (yeah, I know what they do, but I'm just getting over the flu and had a long day - my mind still isnt here)

OS2LDR Loads things. Basically it starts the OS (and IIRC, sets up/connects to some of the initial hardware required to do so such as memory and disk - which it then passes off to the OS - specifically OS2KRNL). It also does more than that, and apparently is still used by the OS to talk to certain hardware, making it also a sort of abstraction layer between the OS and the hardware (like a true microkernel OS), thus is tied to many functions used/needed by OS2KRNL.

OS2KRNL is OS/2's kernel, which handles much of the "behind the scenes" work OS/2 does (such as thread and process scheduling, etc) and more...

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Hi,

I did a Google search and turned up these links (each are related to the other):

http://www.edm2.com/0703/hshk.html

http://www.edm2.com/0607/kernel.html

They'll tell you far more than you ever wanted to know about both...

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Well, I figured they functioned like the NTLDR and NTOSKRNL files  :P, but I was asking more like, who are these from, and what updates do they contain?  ???

I was thinking maybe it was someone from OSFREE talking about how they had made progress and now had a working os2ldr and os2krnl for OSFREE or something, but I take it these are for us eCS users?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.02.03, 06:06:55
Well, I figured they functioned like the NTLDR and NTOSKRNL files  :P, but I was asking more like, who are these from, and what updates do they contain?  ???

I was thinking maybe it was someone from OSFREE talking about how they had made progress and now had a working os2ldr and os2krnl for OSFREE or something, but I take it these are for us eCS users?

That is a good question, and I am baffled as to who AAA is. They joined yesterday, and have been on the forum a total of 1 minute and 18 seconds - in which time they made that post. Nor do I know which Pasha they are referring to...

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Pasha seems to be connected with the development of ACPI, or atleast is handling support tickets on the netlabs ACPI SVN thinger.

http://svn.netlabs.org/acpi/report/1

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.02.04, 05:38:13
Pasha seems to be connected with the development of ACPI, or atleast is handling support tickets on the netlabs ACPI SVN thinger.

*a* Pasha seems to be connected...

That someone with the username "AAA" made a post, didnt provide who they are, and there's no reference of such a project existing (yet it's just about done according to him/her) doesnt make me necessarily connect the Pasha s/he is referencing to the one involved in the ACPI project... if the post is real, then perhaps... otherwise... ????

I'm hoping it's real... but nothing out there backs it yet. :(

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Paul Smedley

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.02.04, 05:51:21
Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.02.04, 05:38:13

*a* Pasha seems to be connected...

That someone with the username "AAA" made a post, didnt provide who they are, and there's no reference of such a project existing (yet it's just about done according to him/her) doesnt make me necessarily connect the Pasha s/he is referencing to the one involved in the ACPI project... if the post is real, then perhaps... otherwise... ????

I'm hoping it's real... but nothing out there backs it yet. :(

Pavel (the ACPI Pasha) posted on #netlabs on IRC about the upcoming os2ldr replacement over the weekend.  I have no clue who AAA is though.....

Saijin_Naib

So... Does Pasha=Pavel Shtemenko? The NTFS and ACPI dude? Nice... This seems to be more legit now if so. Also, do you know what its going to do thats different?

abwillis

Yes, Pasha=Pavel Shtemenko.  I saw his conversation initially on #netlabs but I too am not sure who AAA is as there were several people on #netlabs at the time. 

David McKenna

There is a new forum at http://forum.ecomstation.ru : 'Kernel - Development of New Kernel' (scroll all the way to the bottom). Pasha is asking for ideas about what to add to an os2ldr.ini file he is developing. This kind of stuff is way over my head, but if some here have an opinion worth airing... head on over.

pasha

Quote from: abwillis on 2008.02.04, 17:28:10
Yes, Pasha=Pavel Shtemenko.  I saw his conversation initially on #netlabs but I too am not sure who AAA is as there were several people on #netlabs at the time. 

Unfortunally ;-) This project do group programmers from exUSSR, I am coordinator of this project. Netlabs don't help and don't participation in this project. They have own voyager. Our group rewrite all as is. Mean, rewrite os2ldr - it must be compatible with IBM kernels. Rewrite doscall1.dll - it must be compatible with IBM os2ldr and os2krnl, rewrite os2krnl - it must be compatible with os2ldr and doscall1.dll (Note: It is in theory) . Now ending 1st part - os2ldr. Now it is full compatible, except - absent MCA support, absent EISA support, absent support for i4004, i8080, i8085, i8086, i8088, i80186, i80286, i80386, i80486. As you understand - need test. We writes according to docs from EDM/2, DebugHandbook, ifs.inf,omf.inf, DDK header, lxlite source and of course os2 debuger.

For common info. now writes readme - next upload to hobbes.nmsu.edu output packet.

Status of loader:

Binary loader - free
  Source loader - close (it used DDK and can't be under GPL)

mobybrick

Pasha,

I think you need to know that there are many people out there who appreciate and value the hard work you and your team are putting into these projects.

I'm sure that over the long term, we will all benefit from the work you are doing, and I'm sure I speak for many on this board when I say that we will do whatever we can to help.

Regards,
Moby.

El Vato

I agree on the need to support this kind of OS/2 native development.

I just hope that the support becomes something concrete that will help the financial situation of those Eastern developers.  As oppossed to Odinized hacks which only make the OS/2 environment unstable, core components like that of OS2LDR have the potential of actually increasing the stability and modern hardware availability for OS/2...