• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

os2ldr

Started by AAA, 2008.02.02, 23:40:57

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

Quote from: AAA on 2008.06.26, 16:45:54
Version 0.2 on Hobbes

Well, well, well! I had just boot my eCS 2.0 RC4 system on SMP mode, on a Core2 Quad computer and the new OS2LDR 0.2...
And everything went fine!

Keep up the good work and I am eager to test OS2KRNL and DOSCALL1.DLL replacements (I hope the new version of DOSCALL1.DLL to be SMP-ready... :). Yeah, I noticed the option to boot daily build of OS2KRNL on OS2LDR.INI provided as an example... :D

DavidG

Quote from: David Graser on 2008.06.26, 17:46:34
Well, I got further this time.  Last time I could not get past the eCS logo.  I am booting further, however, I am now Exception in module:  JFS  which is a trap D.

Unfortunately I am going out of town for a week and won't have the time to take a picture and upload it here right now.

David

While waiting on my wife, here it is.

eCS 2 RC4
This is with ACPI 3.09 installed.  ACPI 3.08 did not work either.

David

Exception in module: JFS
TRAP 000D   ERRCD=0059  ERACC=d0df  ERLIM=5fffffff
EAX=00000000  EBX=f9e90024  ECS=00004000 edx=00000000
ESI=fd472114  EDI=00000000  EBP=f9e9fd70  FLG=00213246
CS:EIP=2a68:f8eab6f6  CSACC=d09f  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=1550:f9e9fd1c  SSACC=c093  SSLIM=ffffffff
DS=0160 DSACC=c0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff CR0-8001001d
ES=0160 ESACC=c0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff CR@=001c0ffe
FS=0000  FSACC=****  FSLIM=********
GS=0000 GSACC=****  GSLIM=********

The system detected an internal processing error at
location ##0168:fff1da1f.
60000, 9084

078606d8
Internal revision 14.104a_W4

AAA

saborion2

Quote from: djcaetano on 2008.06.26, 18:09:43
Version 0.2 on Hobbes

Well, well, well! I had just boot my eCS 2.0 RC4 system on SMP mode, on a Core2 Quad computer and the new OS2LDR 0.2...
And everything went fine!

Keep up the good work and I am eager to test OS2KRNL and DOSCALL1.DLL replacements (I hope the new version of DOSCALL1.DLL to be SMP-ready... :). Yeah, I noticed the option to boot daily build of OS2KRNL on OS2LDR.INI provided as an example... :D

Hi "djcaetano",

This sounds great... How about posting some "snapshots" for us to take a look for ourselves!  ;)

Thanks (a million times) in anticipation.

Kindest regards,

SAB

lpino

Version 0.2 on Hobbes

Trying to boot a VPC (v7 for Windows) image of a eCS RC4 I got the following error when loading OS2LVM.DMD

The system detected an internal processing error at
location ##0168:fffb59dd - 000e:000a49dd

0f8606fd
Internal revision 14.104a_W4

saborion2

Hi All,

Re:

Hi "djcaetano",

This sounds great... How about posting some "snapshots" for us to take a look for ourselves!  Wink

Thanks (a million times) in anticipation.

Kindest regards,

SAB

This particular post is intended to serve as a "stimulant" to what appeared to have been at one time "spirited" debate among the membership about existing and emerging OS/2 technologies; and, for instance the informed comments and suggestions (although none of late  ;D )by Kim Haverblad among others. So, the question is - Is the "cat" (efforts to bring OS/2 technologies on par with modern Windows, Linux, OSX....) still going to be "belled" (the anticipation of "new" technology developments (such as the ACPI, OS2LDR upgrades....  ;) ) in Windows, Linux, OSX...) which will/should also be incorporated into OS/2 from the get go (and, OS/2 developers and users not having having to play catch up).

Kindest regards.

SAB

DavidG

Quote from: AAA on 2008.06.27, 08:35:00
Please try 104a UNI instead of W4

http://www.ecomstation.org/sidebars/cmd/kernel/files/uni20050811.zip

OK, I finally got back in town and had a chance to test this.  My system does boot up with this kernel and the new OS/2 loader.  However, My network card no longer works and as a result, I cannot access the internet from this partition. 

AAA

Please advice what networkcard/driver  do you use.

DavidG

OK, I found what the problem is.  I tested to see if this is the same problem I have had before and it is.  It must have been related to the unikrnl when I tested it before.  However, at the time, I did not put 2 + 2=4 together.

I have a WIFI and a network card.

The WIFI is a GenMac Wrapper Intel 2200 Wlan.

The network card is an Realtek 8139/8130/810x.

Although the WIFI driver is supposedly supported, installs, and loads with eCS 2 rc4, I have never been able to access the internet wirelessly.

The Realtek card driver has always worked.

With the old os2krnl, it did not matter that both drivers are installed.  With the unikrnl, it does matter.  By removing the GenMac driver, I now can access the internet with the Realtek ethernet card driver.

El Vato

Quote from: AAA on 2008.06.26, 19:27:14
Please try 104a UNI instead of W4

http://www.ecomstation.org/sidebars/cmd/kernel/files/uni20050811.zip

Whereas this latest (06-26-2008) OS2LDR is able to boot older Intel CPU Systems --and even this image in WSEB's VPC/2, it can not boot an Sun MicroSystems Ultra 20 M2 AMD64 dual-core Opteron with 1GB of RAM.

Note in the illustration of VPC/2 above that I clicked the file that you referenced and I got:

Hotlinking of files
from ecomstation.org
is not allowed.
:D

Hence, I proceeded to access the resource directly. Besides the OS2KRNL, I installed in the root drive OS2DUMP from the compressed file.

On the other hand, the older IBM OS2LDR actually did boot in the Sun Ultra workstation --similar to the illustration of WSEB's VPC/2 above.

Hope the info is useful for your further development of OS2LDR.

Regards.

saborion2

Hi El Vato,

This is indeed a nice post;

Re:

QuoteWhereas this latest (06-26-2008) OS2LDR is able to boot older Intel CPU Systems --and even this image in WSEB's VPC/2, it can not boot an Sun MicroSystems Ultra 20 M2 AMD64 dual-core Opteron with 1GB of RAM.

Note in the illustration of VPC/2 above that I clicked the file that you referenced and I got........

At lease we know for sure that the
Quotelatest (06-26-2008) OS2LDR is able to boot older Intel CPU Systems
; the good thing about this is that there is something for OS/2 Developers to work with rather than nothing at all ;) ; and, it is quite certain that "things" will definitely continue to improve from this point onwards.

BTW, are you Brazilian; and, also operating out of Brazil?

Best regards.

SAB

DavidG

Quote from: David Graser on 2008.07.03, 09:04:34
OK, I found what the problem is.  I tested to see if this is the same problem I have had before and it is.  It must have been related to the unikrnl when I tested it before.  However, at the time, I did not put 2 + 2=4 together.

I have a WIFI and a network card.

The WIFI is a GenMac Wrapper Intel 2200 Wlan.

The network card is an Realtek 8139/8130/810x.

Although the WIFI driver is supposedly supported, installs, and loads with eCS 2 rc4, I have never been able to access the internet wirelessly.

The Realtek card driver has always worked.

With the old os2krnl, it did not matter that both drivers are installed.  With the unikrnl, it does matter.  By removing the GenMac driver, I now can access the internet with the Realtek ethernet card driver.

If I remember correctly, the SMP kernel on a singel CPU system did not have this problem.   In fact, I was tempted to just leave the SMP kernel on my single CPU notebook.

The Blue Warper

Hi, El Vato!

Try downloading that file from this location:

http://ecomstation.ru/download/smp20050811.zip

Regards

saborion2

I have delved into the history of this thread after some after-thought and came across this interesting post by "El Vato":

Re:

Quote from: El Vato on 2008.02.28, 18:56:41
Quote from: AAA on 2008.02.28, 09:45:29
wish somebody explained me what are the benefits of opening the source of loader for Pasha.
I believe that I already hinted on the benefits  to Pavel and Team OS/4 if they succeeded in replacing the proprietary IP in OS2LDR and, subsequently OS2KRNL, effectively becoming themselves what Linus Torvalds and other maintainers are for the Linux kernel.

On the other hand, I can tell you also that if the subsequently cleaned and reengineered OS2LDR/OS2KRNL are released, say under the GPLv2, or best, GPLv3, the ACPI crowd relevant to these discussion --who still live in an proprietary cave watching shadows of proprietary virtual reality-- will not be able to touch Pavel and Team OS/4 source.

Pavel and Team OS/4, upon their successful independent recreation of the OS2KRNL, would have achieved something far more important than ACPI.  And if those owners/implementators of the latter want to survive in the 64-bit modern computing paradigm --towards where all other modern OSes are moving--  they would be forced to disclose the code (either within a mutual licensing agreeement or by following the F-OSS path) to Pavel and Team OS/4 if their ACPI is to survive.

I would venture to speculate, in a responsible manner, that if the OSS path is followed for the OS2LDR/OS2KRNL, possibly another organization far more creative and knowledgeable than that  which currently puts together the OS/2 truck  might even jump into the scene.  And I would simple say: Welcome back StarDock!  The Beast is free at last!*........

Therefore I now ask this pertinent question - Will there be any "specific" focus on an "64-Bit OS2KRNL" in order to enable OS/2 users
Quoteto survive in the 64-bit modern computing paradigm --towards where all other modern OSes are moving
And, here are two reasons as to why this question from an historical perspective:

The Explosion of the Ariane 5

http://www.ima.umn.edu/~arnold/disasters/ariane.html

The Patriot Missile Failure

http://www.ima.umn.edu/~arnold/disasters/patriot.html

I sincerely hope that the point that I am making with regards to the "specific" focus on an "64-Bit OS2KRNL" is clearly understood....

Best regards.

SAB

miturbide

Going back to the open source subject that was previously discussed. It seems that there is some generalization that open source only means license GNU GPL V2 or V3. That's not correct, there are several  open source approved license.

If the os2ldr dev team is interested on open source, possible they can think on other license like BSD (" The BSD license, for example, allows anyone to redistribute the work or any derivative without any source, if such is the desired path.")

Or the Commun Public License "The CPL's stated aims are to support and encourage collaborative open source development, while still retaining the ability to use the CPL'd content with software licensed under other licenses, including many proprietary licenses. The Eclipse Public License (EPL) is a slightly modified version of the CPL."

Possible GNU GPL it is a to liberal license, but there are other alternatives.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com