• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 Warp 4 Server

Started by usertale, 2008.05.30, 19:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

usertale

Hello,
  Does OS/2 Warp 4 Server 'work' on the following 2 platforms?

Intel Pentium 4 with 1 Gb memory
  Anthon 64 2X with 3 Gb memory

Does anyone have a hardware compatibility list?

thank u

obiwan

In theory, it should be possible to make it work, but Warp 4 Server is based on the Warp 3 underlying OS, and as such it is more difficult than the Warp 4 client to install on new hardware.

It is possible to install the Warp 4 Server components on Warp 4 Client. A document from IBM detailing how to do it is surely still possible to find on the Internet somewhere. Given that, it should be possible to install the Warp 4 Server components on top of the eComStation client, which I think I would do, depending on what you want to achieve.

ModZilla

gRANTED THAT THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH A FRESH INSTALL OF WARP4 SERVER TO A SYSTEM WITH A MBOARD WITH A MODERN BIOS FRIENDLY TO, IE EXPOSED TO OR OEM CHIPPED TO MS WITH WINDOZE XP/HASTALA_VISTA OR? PRE INSTALLED, HARDWARE CONFLICTS DO ABOUND, SO I JUST TAKE MY WARP4 SERVER HDD OUT OF THE ITS BOX - INSTALL IT AS A PRIMARY IN A BOX THAT ALREADY HAS A DUAL BOOT/NTLDR ON BOARD USING AN ASUS MOBO WITH EARLY LIVE BIOS FUNCTION. THE LATER DUAL CORE IS NOT RECOMMENDED BUT SUCCESS IS HIGH WITH EARLY BOARDS. I CANT DIG UP A COMPATABILITY LIST OTHER THAN JUST DONT USE ANYTHING THAT IS LATER THAN THE FIRST RELEASE OF P4, I JUST DONT HAVE TIME TO TEST THEM ALL, BUT SO FAR SO GOOD WITH ASUS X-SERIES PENTIUM BOARDS. YOU MAY FIND A DUAL BOOT PROGRAM  AT HTTP://bootdisk.com OR ELSEWHERE. I PREFER TO MIRROR WARP4 SERVER AND LOAD IT FROM AN EXTERNAL DEVICE USING A BOOTKIT ON A NEWER DUALCORE 1.7MHZ LAPTOP, ONE THAT HAS BEEN WIPED CLEAN(FLASH BIOSED) OF ANY WINDOZE PRODUCTS THAT TAKE CONTROL OF THE BIOS. SOMEDAY ALL THIS CONTROL THAT MS GETS AWAY WITH IN TERMS OF HARDWARE WILL COME BACK TO BITE THEM! HARDY HAR HAR! CANT WAIT! NOTHIN BUT PROBLEMS WITH WARP DUE TO MODERN BIOS, LIVE BIOS AND SOCKET WHATEVER WIRED WAY BEYOND ANY CONTROLLERS WHICH THE OS2 KERNEL RECOGNIZES, GOING BEYOND THE EARLY P4 I HAVE TESTED ROTZARUK  ;D@ ;D -MZ
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

saborion2

Re:

QuoteYOU MAY FIND A DUAL BOOT PROGRAM  AT HTTP://bootdisk.com OR ELSEWHERE. I PREFER TO MIRROR WARP4 SERVER AND LOAD IT FROM AN EXTERNAL DEVICE USING A BOOTKIT ON A NEWER DUALCORE 1.7MHZ LAPTOP, ONE THAT HAS BEEN WIPED CLEAN(FLASH BIOSED) OF ANY WINDOZE PRODUCTS THAT TAKE CONTROL OF THE BIOS. SOMEDAY ALL THIS CONTROL THAT MS GETS AWAY WITH IN TERMS OF HARDWARE WILL COME BACK TO BITE THEM!

Gosh! I could not have said it better. Me too, I just can't wait to return to the future (does anyone remember taking one of those IBM Laptops that was associated with the IBM School's Program and had it "wiped cleaned" after all the programs (Windows OS included) was so messed up by your primary school aged kid that it could not boot). It would be nice to have OS/2 Boot-Up on "MBOARD(s) WITH A MODERN BIOS" Config. Sys.!  8)

Regards,

SAB

Blonde Guy

Installing the operating system is limited to 512 MB RAM and 4 GB hard drive. You'll be looking for patched drivers to use a larger hard drive. You need a new W3 kernel to boot with more than 512 MB RAM. Good luck finding one.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

saborion2

Hey "Blonde Guy",

Re:

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2008.07.11, 17:31:27
Installing the operating system is limited to 512 MB RAM and 4 GB hard drive. You'll be looking for patched drivers to use a larger hard drive. You need a new W3 kernel to boot with more than 512 MB RAM. Good luck finding one.

In as much as you did not mention what was case with eComStation in this regard... it is the reason why the "proposed" VOYAGER (or CASSINI for that matter) Project(s) might just do the trick. And, these are the reasons why "geeks" (the "best" and the "brightest") were born! ??? Perhaps, to do the very same thing for the OS/2 Operating System what Linus Torvalds did for the Linux Operating System and the Linux Communities around the world. ;D ::) ;D

Best regards,

SAB

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.11, 20:10:51
Hey "Blonde Guy",

Re:

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2008.07.11, 17:31:27

In as much as you did not mention what was case with eComStation in this regard... it is the reason why the "proposed" VOYAGER (or CASSINI for that matter) Project(s) might just do the trick. And, these are the reasons why "geeks" (the "best" and the "brightest") were born! ??? Perhaps, to do the very same thing for the OS/2 Operating System what Linus Torvalds did for the Linux Operating System and the Linux Communities around the world. ;D ::) ;D

Best regards,

SAB

Actually, it probably just isnt relevant to the question. Anyone specifically asking about a specific version of Warp Server is probably doing so because that is what they have. It sounds to me like he is trying to replace an older machine with a newer one and wants to know about compatibility issues.

In addition, eComStation is not a replacement for any version of Warp Server. It is a replacement for Warp Client. To use the eComStation route, he would also have to purchase the "Server Pack" which is actually the last release of Warp Server for e-Business - and may still have to update it to work on certain newer hardware (like ones requiring SATA). At least, WSeB is a lot easier to find updates for.

Voyager and CASSINI, while perhaps nice conceptually, are also not solutions (at least, not until they exist), so they too are unfortunately irrelevant.

As a for instance, I would love to be able to install a 64bit version of OS/2 on some of my newer hardware, and while there are plans to make one, for all intents and purposes, those plans mean nothing for me (right now). I cannot consider something that does not exist (I can hope that one day it will - but "one day" solves nothing for me right now, leaving me with 32bit support and 4GB memory limit).

USERTALE:
If you do not need the server components, your best bet is eComStation. If you do, your best bet may be to get WSeB (by buying eCS and the "Server Package" for it) and using UpCD to update the WSeB disks (that come with the "Server Pack" add-on) to the latest drivers.

Otherwise, it'll be a lot of driver searches, finding the newest WS4 kernel, etc; and trying to get the install to work - all keeping in mind BlondeGuy's notes and recommendations...

A final Warp Server 4 option would be to determine your CPU and disk needs, and try to find a used IBM Server on eBay (or elsewhere) that IBM has tested the compatibility of with WS4... such as a Netfinity. Old Intellistations are also a good bet - and some of them are virtually entirely component for component matches for the lower end Netfinity Servers (the desktop sized dual and single CPU ones).

The one thing to keep in mind if going to a big Netfinity server is certain hardware cannot be used in them (usually certain video cards or RAID controllers). You can find ones that work - but you need to ensure they are compatible first. As a for instance, my Netfinity 7000 will not accept *any* video card I have tried - cannot set address range on card. New NIC cards (gigabit Intel) on the other hand work fine... so did a newer IBM RAID card that supposedly wasnt compatible.

The "smaller" Netfinity Servers and their Intellistation brethren dont seem to have that problem - and also seem to support a wider range of CPU upgrades (the Netfinity 7000 wont go over (4) Xeon 550MHz because the core changed in the Intel 600MHz and up - while the smaller Intellistations and their matching smaller Netfinity servers support the 600MHz chips fine (as well as all the higher ones with the same bus speed)).

Of course, you probably dont need a 140lb server... so looking at a smaller one may just work...

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Re:

In addition, eComStation is not a replacement for any version of Warp Server. It is a replacement for Warp Client. To use the eComStation route, he would also have to purchase the "Server Pack" which is actually the last release of Warp Server for e-Business - and may still have to update it to work on certain newer hardware (like ones requiring SATA). At least, WSeB is a lot easier to find updates for.

Voyager and CASSINI, while perhaps nice conceptually, are also not solutions (at least, not until they exist), so they too are unfortunately irrelevant.

As a for instance, I would love to be able to install a 64bit version of OS/2 on some of my newer hardware, and while there are plans to make one, for all intents and purposes, those plans mean nothing for me (right now). I cannot consider something that does not exist (I can hope that one day it will - but "one day" solves nothing for me right now, leaving me with 32bit support and 4GB memory limit).

For more than on reason.... if there was development that offered an insight into the future then it was perhaps reflected in these words below:

Quoteyes,  custom version of os2ldr is coming.  we may expect it within a couple of weeks.
the only info that i have is that a group coordinated by pasha is doing it.

os2krnl may also come (of course not in two weeks Smiley ).

also,

QuoteUnfortunally ;-) This project do group programmers from exUSSR, I am coordinator of this project. Netlabs don't help and don't participation in this project. They have own voyager. Our group rewrite all as is. Mean, rewrite os2ldr - it must be compatible with IBM kernels. Rewrite doscall1.dll - it must be compatible with IBM os2ldr and os2krnl, rewrite os2krnl - it must be compatible with os2ldr and doscall1.dll (Note: It is in theory) . Now ending 1st part - os2ldr. Now it is full compatible, except - absent MCA support, absent EISA support, absent support for i4004, i8080, i8085, i8086, i8088, i80186, i80286, i80386, i80486. As you understand - need test. We writes according to docs from EDM/2, DebugHandbook, ifs.inf,omf.inf, DDK header, lxlite source and of course os2 debuger.

For common info. now writes readme - next upload to hobbes.nmsu.edu output packet.

Status of loader:

Binary loader - free
  Source loader - close (it used DDK and can't be under GPL)

and, these were posted on this very site. So, if there was any room for speculation/ error of judgment as far as the potential for "updated" (modern) systems utilization... are concerned then the above referenced statements by Pasha, AAA, El Vato et al may be where the blame has to be laid.  8)

Best regards,

SAB.

RobertM

saborion2:

Please explain how that helps someone who needs to do this today? There is no relevance to that - which is what the original poster's question implied. None of that is relevant to doing an install today.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Hi RobertM,

Re:

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.07.11, 23:30:18
saborion2:

Please explain how that helps someone who needs to do this today? There is no relevance to that - which is what the original poster's question implied. None of that is relevant to doing an install today.

With reference to "the original poster's question" which reads as follows:

Does OS/2 Warp 4 Server 'work' on the following 2 platforms?

Intel Pentium 4 with 1 Gb memory
  Anthon 64 2X with 3 Gb memory

Does anyone have a hardware compatibility list?

In as much as the proposed solutions would not appear be of any relevance with regards to solving an install issue "today", it is the opinion (given the limitations with regards to "OS/2 Warp 4 Server" enhancement/developments) that one would for the foreseeable future continue to experience difficulties/limitations with both the OS/2 Client and Server Operating Systems in general. Perhaps, these are some of the reasons why none other than IBM said the following:

QuoteThere are no replacement products from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers consider Linux as an alternative operating system for OS/2 client and server environments.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/warp/migration.html

and, it was in the context of this IBM's statement that reference to Voyager and CASSINI was made and I trust that you will get the point that was being made.

Regards,

SAB

RobertM

sab:

Sorry, I dont get the point... nor do I think someone would specifically ask about a 12 year old version of an OS unless they already had a copy and they needed to install it on the hardware specified. I think you are misreading his intent.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Fahrvenugen

Usertale,

Warp Server 4 is based on the Warp 3 code base.  It should be possible to get it to run on the P4 machine, however the Athlon 64 may not run it.  I don't think the Warp 3 kernel was ever updated to allow it to run on the 64 bit processors as the Warp 4 kernel was updated.

But, I do have a P4 running Warp 3 myself, so I do know it is possible to get Warp 3 to run on a P4.  But it won't run without updates, you'll need  a few things.

First, you'll need a working copy of Warp and the latest UpdCD so you can build a new install disk for Warp Server.

You'll need to update Warp Server 4 (using Updcd) with the last Fixpak IBM released to the general public - Fixpak 43.  You can download it from here:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w043/

You'll also need to be using the latest Danis506 driver too, otherwise it will still have trouble recognizing your hard disk.

For the memory, Fixpak 43 does have the last public release of the Warp 3 kernel in it, and on some systems that will recognize memory up to 3 GB.  On some systems it won't see anything above 512 MB, and on some it won't see anything above 64MB.  If it can't see all the memory on your system, try using Patchldr on the Kernel Loader:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=patchldr

that may fix that issue.

The other thing that I've done on some Warp 3 machines is to install the OS on a slower machine (Pentium 2 or 3), and then swap the hard disk over to the new P4 machine after installing all the updates (generally I've only had to do this when the updated CD built with UpdCD didn't work). 

Also, when installing, select plain old VGA.  Once you are up adn running with FP43 you can actually install the latest SNAP driver (just search this website for a link to download the last release and the release code to unlock it).

Also, before installing go into the system BIOS, and if you can turn off ACPI and Plug and Play.  Warp 3 never supported either of these.

Anyways, it should be possible to get Warp 3 to run on the P4, just not all that easy.  You may be better to look at either the eCS (or Warp 4) client with the server stuff installed on top of it (as referenced in a previous response).

Good luck!

saborion2

Re:

QuoteWarp Server 4 is based on the Warp 3 code base.

Will not the below attached suggest that there is a even later release of OS/2 Warp Server

QuoteOS/2 Warp 4.5 (codename "Aurora") was released in 1999, as a server release. It featured a bootable install CD, a new 32-bit TCP/IP stack, a journaling file system (JFS), and a logical volume manager. A desktop release, deemed "Convenience Pak for Warp 4" was released as version 4.51 in late 2000....

http://www.os2bbs.com/OS2News/OS2Warp.html

and, as far as I can recall the OS/2 Client (Ver. 4.51) which was based on the "Aurora" Codes. (I stand to be corrected).

Best regards,

SAB

Fahrvenugen

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.12, 09:06:01
Re:

QuoteWarp Server 4 is based on the Warp 3 code base.

Will not the below attached suggest that there is a even later release of OS/2 Warp Server

QuoteOS/2 Warp 4.5 (codename "Aurora") was released in 1999, as a server release. It featured a bootable install CD, a new 32-bit TCP/IP stack, a journaling file system (JFS), and a logical volume manager. A desktop release, deemed "Convenience Pak for Warp 4" was released as version 4.51 in late 2000....

http://www.os2bbs.com/OS2News/OS2Warp.html

and, as far as I can recall the OS/2 Client (Ver. 4.51) which was based on the "Aurora" Codes. (I stand to be corrected).

Best regards,

SAB

You're confusing the "Client" and the "Server" versions of the operating system.

Warp Server 4 and Warp Server 4 Advanced were based on the Warp 3 code base.  Warp Server is actually a combination / integration of OS/2 Warp 3.0 and IBM Lan Server.  Previously the combination was available as OS/2 2.1 + LAN Server (both of which previously had been separate products).  When IBM released Warp Server  (also known as Warp Server 4), they took the latest version of OS/2 (Version 3.0), took what would have been the latest version of the IBM Lan Server product , integrated it into one package, and called it Warp Server 4 and Warp Server 4 Advanced (with the Advanced product, the main addition being HPFS386).  As this was the first time the 2 products had been integrated and offered as one common product, IBM chose to market it as a new product.

This did create some confusion at the time.  Some people thought with the new number (Warp 4) it was a new OS, when in fact it was just Warp 3 with the latest Fixpak installed + the lan server product. 

Then in the fall of 1996 when Warp 4 (Client, code name: Merlin), there was more confusion at the time, as Warp Server was on the old Warp 3 code base but the client OS was on the new code base.

This didn't actually get fixed until Warp Server for eBusiness (Code name: Aurora) was released in 1999.   Warp Server for eBusiness was the version that was built on the then-latest version of the Warp 4 code base, but the code was enhanced and updated for the server version. 

The two versions of the operating system (the client and the server) didn't finally achieve code parity until the Merlin Convenience Packs (MCP 1 and 2, mcp1 released in 2001 if memory serves) were release through Software Choice.  MCP brought some of the updates that were in Warp Server for eBusiness (JFS, LVM, 32 bit TCP/IP, etc) to the Warp client.

saborion2

Re:

Warp Server 4 is based on the Warp 3 code base.

This is what was read:

Chapter 2.  Base operating system enhancements

The base operating system for OS/2 Warp Server for e-business is an advanced multitasking, 32-bit operating system that runs DOS, Windows, and OS/2 16 and 32 bit applications and utilizes SMP hardware configurations. OS/2 Warp Server version 4.0 was based on the OS/2 Warp Connect operating system. OS/2 Warp Server for e-business is based on a modified OS/2 Warp 4.0 operating platform. Many of the components that operate on upper layers make use of the essential services provided by the base operating system. Many changes have been made to make OS/2 Warp Server for e-business a premier operating platform. Some changes are discussed here, and others are covered in the chapters that follow together with the service that they enhance. Many new features and enhancements have been incorporated into this version of the OS/2 base operating system. All of the service elements that have been changed since OS/2 Warp 4.0 was released as well as those incorporated into OS/2 Warp Server and OS/2 Warp Server SMP have been integrated into this version of the base operating system.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG245393.html

Thus, it is not a question of what I am saying/trying to say; but, that it is simply the question of what is "Inside OS/2 Warp Server for e-business" according to "IBM" and that which can be "recommended" to users like "usertale" - a upgrade path!

Hope you are having a fine day.  8)

Best regards,

SAB