• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

What are Your real priorytes ?

Started by cyber, 2010.12.29, 09:14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

cyber

From one other thread:

"Quote
I mainly looking if the new eCS offers/has Bluetooth support.

Unfortunately, no. Bluetooth is one of the things on the wish list, but nobody has taken enough interest in it to create the appropriate driver(s). Other things are far more important, and there are not enough qualified programers to go around. "

Please tell me what are those far more important things that eCS/OS/2 user needs ?  I personally think that bluetooth support is one of essentially needful things.  
Even more than bluetooth driver, IMHO there is urgent need to fix LVM feature of recognising partitions, so any flash stick/external drive (phones, cameras, players) can be used normaly without 'special preparing for LVM'. :)

And there is balance and strategic planing... I as not-programer believe that developing bluetooth driver, and/or fixing LVM is much more easyer and need less programer resource engagement than for example porting Java, fixing kernal, developing Flash 10, and so on... while on other side we can get more interest for new users.

Paul Smedley

For me - Flash support is the priority.  Without Flash, many websites are unusable and Joe average won't consider an OS that can't even play youtube....

Andi710

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2010.12.29, 10:34:29
For me - Flash support is the priority.  Without Flash, many websites are unusable and Joe average won't consider an OS that can't even play youtube....

I agree with Paul. Support for all web standards (e.g. HTML5 in Firefox4) and quasi-standards (like flash) is top priority. The other is support for new kinds of hardware (focus on stable solutions for selected chipsets/models, just like EmperoarTV does it very nicely for support of TV), in particular:
- reliabe USB, incl. all kinds of flash in all sizes (like to be able to buy and use an 8GB SDHC card for instance),
- at least one brand of webcam.
And everything stable on SMP systems, as single core is a thing of the past.

diver

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2010.12.29, 10:34:29
yes flash is one of the most annoying things we have. there will be more flash work at the beginning of next year. odin gets better and better due to java. so also flash has a benefit of it. and we know how to reproduce some flash crashes, so chance they get fixed is very high now. especially that java suffers right now from the same problems. like SMP crashes in odin. we will get there in the coming month.

regards
Silvan

cyber

OK, i must agree that flash is very important, even my both childern use earlier release of flash almost every day -flash games are almost only fresh games in /2 world. :)

DougB

Quote from: cyber on 2010.12.29, 09:14:11
Please tell me what are those far more important things that eCS/OS/2 user needs ?

Video acceleration (for that matter, just video support for new devices)
Printer driver support (sorry, but CUPS isn't doing the job, even though it is a big step forward)
JAVA 6 (in the works, but not there yet)
AHCI disk support (in the works, but not there yet)
Multi voice sound support (probably part of the UniAud plan, but not there yet)
Proper power support (ACPI, in it's present form, is a total disaster)
Network Adapter support (in the works, but limited to two series of adapters, so far)
Large disk support (2 TB limit now, and 500 GB limit for boot drives)
Virtual machine options (the old VirtualBox just doesn't cut it)

I am sure there are many more, and everybody has their own priorities. I put Bluetooth right down there with Firewire support. There has been a Firewire driver for years, but nobody has bothered to finish it (no interest, and no time), and I have no idea if it would work in it's present form (probably not). Bluetooth - eventually, but Bluetooth support isn't going to do anybody much good, if the basic stuff doesn't work.

cytan

Increase 512MB shared memory limit. I know this is just a pipe dream because we don't have access to the kernel. But this should be fixed because Firefox, OpenOffice etc. are shared memory hogs and hoses OS/2 after a few days of use.

An updated Xserver for people like me who log into UNIX machines to do some work.

ACPI, flash, JAVA in some order.

Printing which works inside Firefox. I know it's coming.

Blonde Guy

It's hard to imagine Bluetooth being a wish list item for eCS.

The Bluetooth stack is large and complex. Neither Windows, nor Mac, nor Linux have good implementations. If I had a million dollars to spend making eCS better, then Bluetooth would not make the cut.

What would I spend it on?

Flash support.
Audio support.
ACPI.
ACPI utilities.
ACPI compatibility of other drivers.
Shared memory fix.
Bug reporting/dump collection tool.
Enhanced pre-boot environment.
Java support.
Open Office using Java support.
Webcam support.
new ethernet and WiFi support.
USB fixes and 3.0 support.

Everybody has their list, and I could go on and on...
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

lewhoo

Except flash, any voice/video conferencing software should be here. I think that without that an average Joe won't take a look on OS/2 either.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: DougB on 2010.12.29, 18:01:19
Quote from: cyber on 2010.12.29, 09:14:11
Please tell me what are those far more important things that eCS/OS/2 user needs ?

Printer driver support (sorry, but CUPS isn't doing the job, even though it is a big step forward)

Sorry - but if really think we're going to get anything other than cups for printer driver support, then you're clearly delusional.

If you have found a defect with CUPS, report a bug via the CUPS newsgroups.

If your problem is that your specific printer model isn't supported, then get over it.  Unless you run Windows, there is no way a niche OS is going to have support for every model printer on the planet.

Paul.

melf

Adobe Connect is the new conferencing program among universities in Sweden and it's Flash based. However you also need some plugin, which I bet will need Windows or Mac to work...

I tried Adobe Connect with our flash preview and came half the way, wasn't able to install the plugin.

Flash and Java is on my wish list too, but also:

Some polishing on the GUI, it'll frighten new users away as it is now. I can't understand why first install still uses old folder icons.

Wlan support for new cards

WPA2 support that works at work

An easy to use and understand VPN client solution

AHCI  disk support

Further development of video support

A video editing program!

Further ports of GIMP and vbox

/Mikael

craigm

I agree with most everyone here. We need to keep focused on the main standards of the Internet right now. Luckily eCS is in a great position with Java, Flash, and even OpenGL being working on with a bright future.

With that, we need to understand where eCS is going...are we staying at the Desktop? If so, again, I agree with everyone here with Java, Flash, OpenGL, Audio Fixes, etc.

BUT...if people have the idea of something like a tablet, then bluetooth is a must. I know that is not an easy thing but the reality is that bluetooth is used a lot in the mobile world.

One additional note, no matter where we go, we do need to work on the "looks" of eCS. As much as I love it, it is getting dated in the looks dept. And it's like buying a new car, you might not know how it runs but you know how it looks and feels. If we want to attract new people, then we need to shine up eCS.

CDRWSel

I agree with previous post.

By priority:

Java, Flash, AHCI, USB3 and new SATA ...
And Video acceleration + 16:10 support for new universal video driver.

Cheers

Paul Smedley

Quote from: CDRWSel on 2010.12.30, 02:23:51
I agree with previous post.

By priority:

Java, Flash, AHCI, USB3 and new SATA ...

Java beta is out today - http://svn.netlabs.org/java

cyber

Ahhhh... there is so many different demands, and allmost anyone have different needs.  :)

Quote from: craigm on 2010.12.30, 02:12:54
BUT...if people have the idea of something like a tablet, then bluetooth is a must. I know that is not an easy thing but the reality is that bluetooth is used a lot in the mobile world.

It is not must just for tablet... If You have any of mobile devices, tablet, smartphone, phone_with_camera, camera with bluetooth, it is normaly that You offten have need to exchange files like documents, pictures, music,... between Your /2 device and mobile device. And even for transfer files from one computer to another is (desktop to laptop f.e.) very usable, no need for floppy, stick, external disk, CD, DVD, storage cards, network, internet, email... :)

And now Young people have in average atleast two mobile devices in hands. :)

To Blonde Guy:
Im satisfied how BT works under Linux. Ubuntu 9.04-10.10.

So, back to sit and wait... one day we will have perfect /2 / eCS with every feature, even with bluetooth included.  8)