• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Video driver

Started by CDRWSel, 2012.05.21, 17:44:13

Previous topic - Next topic

CDRWSel

I'm waiting since a long time now in hope to get a working driver with 16/10 and acceleration supporting nvidia cards (ex: gt9600 etc...)
None of current driver (both provided eCS) are able to correctly work. It could be "acceptable" with distortion for text but it isn't ok as soon working with images nor with videos for which video acceleration is required for correct result.

This is a must but it seems that nothing is comming to resolve this BIG eCS issue!
Any news? if it hasn't progress with good result, why purchase eCs extension support when it isn't usable for all day use?

The same is true with flash in smp mode despite some wrote it works (on very specific system may be!!!)

What are the news, is it worth to buy eCS renew? same question about openoffice for which I purchased up to know without getting any updates current last year !

EugeneGorbunoff

No, eCo Software doesn't have resources to develop other video drivers.

melf

Hi Remy, I have of course no answers but I guess you aim at Mensys acquiring the Os2 source code for SNAP? I'm quite shure they'll use it in some way. It is not announced in their latest newsletter. In that they push for: ACPI, Flash beta2, AHCI, MultiMac and DMT. They say that the upcoming eCS2.2 will contain the latest version of the mentioned software. OpenOffice 3.4 will also soon be available. Personally I think that the Software Subscription is worth the money. To a low cost every year you always have an updated system and the latest eCS version (and OpenOffice).
/Mikael

DougB

I think that Mensys is not optimistic about using the SNAP code to add acceleration to more modern video adapters (could be that they are just trying to keep expectations down). They also haven't got anybody available to even look at the project. Everybody is busy with other things.

As for OpenOffice (one of the "other things"), I expect to see version 3.4 sometime soon (probably with eCS 2.2, when it becomes available). For those who got eCS 2.1, OpenOffice came as part of that (included on CD2, but possibly not with all packages), so a separate subscription is no longer required (Mensys will still sell it to you, if you purchase it).

FWIW, I would not mind if they put FLASH on hold, in favor of working with SNAP, but I suspect that the FLASH developer may not be interested in doing work with SNAP.

We need more, interested, talented, developers. Everybody go to programming school, now.   ;D

RobertM

Quote from: DougB on 2012.05.22, 16:10:37
FWIW, I would not mind if they put FLASH on hold, in favor of working with SNAP, but I suspect that the FLASH developer may not be interested in doing work with SNAP.

To be fair, driver development and development of apps and add-ons like SNAP are two totally different things. An ability to develop one does not indicate an ability to develop the other.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rwklein

Quote from: DougB on 2012.05.22, 16:10:37
I think that Mensys is not optimistic about using the SNAP code to add acceleration to more modern video adapters (could be that they are just trying to keep expectations down). They also haven't got anybody available to even look at the project. Everybody is busy with other things.

As for OpenOffice (one of the "other things"), I expect to see version 3.4 sometime soon (probably with eCS 2.2, when it becomes available). For those who got eCS 2.1, OpenOffice came as part of that (included on CD2, but possibly not with all packages), so a separate subscription is no longer required (Mensys will still sell it to you, if you purchase it).

We need more, interested, talented, developers. Everybody go to programming school, now.   ;D

An updated AHCI driver is out the pipeline soon. Updated ACPI are coming out and while some systems don't work its clear the new ACPI versions are a big improvement! Also new NIC drivers are coming out and the Multimac skeleton is being updated to support
new NIC's. When is uncertain its finished but in the coming weeks a first public version of Broadcom Multimac driver should be released.

As for the SNAP stuff. The primary focus is and will be first to get MTRR support and VESA support stable.
Some people worked already on SNAP and work is moving forward in the background.

My first estimate was that support new chipsets native would be a lot of work. But for some chipsets it will be possible to add simply new chipset and vendor ID's. We are making lists of this. Some internal builds have been released to some people to test.
So development is being worked on.

Regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys B.V.